Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Change from city to well water problem

I recently switched from city water to well water. I knew I would be facing some potential issues, but I never realized just how bad it could be. I haven't put any of the water in my tanks yet because they flushed the new pipes with chlorine. I think most of it has run out, but I'm still afraid to use it. It just occurred to me to check the ph and much to my horror it is only 6.4. Our city water's was 7.6, which is all I've ever had since I started keeping fish. I realize that fish can adjust, but it's such a major change. Is this doable and how gradual should I introduce it once the water is safe to use?? I haven't received the official test report from the water company yet, but according to my API test kit there is no detectable trace of ammonia or nitrate, and my gh and kh are 4. No phosphates either.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have well water, too, so I will share my experience with you.

First thing I would do if I were you is to draw a bucket of water, test the ph immediately. Then let it sit in the bucket a few days and retest the ph. The ph may change, and it may be a substantial change. At certain times of year my water comes out of the tap at ph 7.6 and levels off to 8.4 a few days later after the dissolved carbon dioxide off-gases! My water is also extremely hard, which doesn't sound like a problem for you. I actually mix mine 50/50 with reverse osmosis water to bring down the hardness. My ph is then a pretty steady 8.2.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Karoti View Post
I have well water, too, so I will share my experience with you.

First thing I would do if I were you is to draw a bucket of water, test the ph immediately. Then let it sit in the bucket a few days and retest the ph. The ph may change, and it may be a substantial change. At certain times of year my water comes out of the tap at ph 7.6 and levels off to 8.4 a few days later after the dissolved carbon dioxide off-gases! My water is also extremely hard, which doesn't sound like a problem for you. I actually mix mine 50/50 with reverse osmosis water to bring down the hardness. My ph is then a pretty steady 8.2.
Thanks for the info. I'm very concerned about how low mine is. I will let some water sit and see what happens. I've had such success with my former water chemistry. I'm regretting the change already. I don't even know if angels and all the other types of fish I have can tolerate such a low ph. I have a school of nearly 20 cardinals and those don't come cheap here. I have threadfin rainbows, polka dot loaches, flying foxes (SAE's) a few guppies and of course my angels.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I never worry about pH as long as it remains within 1 point of what you're going for. If it were below 6 or above 8, I'd have concerns. It's really not that big of a swing. The optimum pH for fish is usually determined for breeding. Most fish can handle, and thrive, in a larger range of pH than is generally specified.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I agree, and I've never been concerned with keeping a particular number, but this is quite a change.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree that ph value isn't as important as ph stability. I keep "low ph" fish in my 8.2 water and they seem fine. But if I put the 7.6 ph water in the tank without letting it stabilize first, the subsequent ph change would probably stress them.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

maybe you can ease them into the change by cutting your new water with spring water..Poland spring is 7.2ish i believe..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 06-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Or maybe 20% weekly wc's would be gradual enough?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Change from city to well water problem

Sorry. Double post.

Tags
ate, change, problem, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com