Change of scenery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makoa59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I used to have a nicely planted 90 gallon tank, but my plecos and buenos ares tetras ate everything except one crypt and Java moss... Now my tank looks uninteresting and the moss fills with waste, floats freely and clogs my filter intake. I do like moss, but I'd doesn't seem to stay on my driftwood (I've used fishing line, rubber bands, and kitchen twine to no avail).

I am going to embrace the non-planted tank, and got two Suriname Eartheaters (Geophagus Proximus) and I have an extra large driftwood that isn't in the tank.

Has anyone redesigned an established tank without taking it apart and starting over? Any advice or pictures of tanks with just driftwood, moss, and rocks?

Stock:
1 Sultan Pleco (L264)
2 Albino Bristlenose Plecos (L144)
3 Otos
3 Panda Garras
2 Australian Rainbows
3 Boesemani Rainbows
3 Threadfin Rainbows
8 Pygmy Gouramis
7 Buenos Ares Tetras
1 Gold Gourami
1 Opaline Gourami
2 White Skirt Tetras
2 Neon Tetras
2 Albino Long-fin Zebra Danios
2 Clown Loaches
1 Rainbow Shark (jumped in the tank at the store with the 2 clown loaches the three of them are a school and very well behaved)
*New* 2 Suriname Eartheaters

Various RC Shrimp that once thrived when the tank was well planted and had plenty of hiding spaces.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392653635.640005.jpg

Update... I'm treating the extra large driftwood and rocks. Driftwood is too large for a boil and sticks up over a 5 gallon bucket, so I'm going to soak for about 2 weeks in a large (clean) waste paper basket. I'm also treating rocks that had mold growth with bleach and de-chlorinating with Seachem Prime.

Again, if anyone has experience changing the scenery in an established system, I would love to hear about it and see some pictures of a system with rocks and driftwood.

Thanks.

It looks a little better :) ;) have you considered that your tank may be overstocked?

Not overstocked at all. It's a 90 gallon tank. Some of the fish are very small. If anything, I can fit a few more... My recent battle with ich killed a few. I plan on getting another 2 or 3 clown loaches.

Yeah, all the ottos died, only one panda gara left, 3 Pygmies, lost one of the clown loaches, down to one neon tetra, lost all threadfins, one rainbow fish, and the Opaline died as well.

Looks good. But I think I might point out that your plants very likely died from lack of light rather than being eaten by your fish. The 90 is a very deep tank and has issues with light penetration so it needs a very robust lighting system.

Not overstocked at all. It's a 90 gallon tank. Some of the fish are very small. If anything, I can fit a few more... My recent battle with ich killed a few. I plan on getting another 2 or 3 clown loaches.

Anymore clown loaches and you will be overstocked

Back
Top Bottom