Changed from a 6gallon to a 10gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have two betta mahachai and a khuli loach in a six gallon. Or had. Been meaning to move them up to a 10 slowly, but their filter died the other day, so I had to rush it.

I set the new tank up yesterday, filled it with primed water / substrate, let it sit. Put the new filter in it today for an hour til the water became clear. Emptied half of the water, and put in 90% of the water from the existing six gallon. Put the old-tank filter media in the new filter. Ran it for awhile, while I floated the fish in a bucket to acclimatize them.

Released the fish into their new home! They seem to be fine, exploring and floating about, but I am still NERVOUS because this wasn't how I wanted to do it. Yeee.

But they should be fine, right? :fish2::fish2:
Anything else I should do?

Right on. You shouldn't have any problems, unless that filter was dead for long enough that the bacteria in the filter media died. Just keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite levels, especially for the first couple weeks. You didn't have to move the old water, but it's OK that you did. Just remember you didn't start with fresh water and give a pwc before the nitrates get too high.

Kuhli's do best with sand for substrate or small smooth stones, since they like to burrow. They also do best in groups of 5 or more. :)

Back
Top Bottom