Changed over from gravel to sand substrate. Looks nice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fprintf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry for the lack of pictures, but this weekend I put sand over the top of my gravel substrate. It looks really nice and has given me a nice medium for the plants (Wisteria, Hornwort, Javamoss) in the tank. Everyone seems to really like it and it really brightens up the tank. The Cichlids (Kenyis) really love it... they have been digging around like crazy, making lovely little mounds of sand.

I took a pic last night and will post it when I get home from work.

Yeah i did the same ,but i took all my gravel out.

The loaches in particular love it! except they uproot plants or destroy structures or mounds of sand that i purposely made.

fprintf
Way to experiment! I love sand as a substrate, too. Pretty sure most fish appreciate it more than jagged, nasty gravel bits! Unfortunately, be aware that the larger pieces of gravel will rise to the top, and the smaller particles of sand will sink to the bottom (eventually) :)

just a question on sand...
when you disturb the sand does it spread around the water and muck it up?, i would like to try sand but it seemed to be easily disturbed, and during a gravel vac, and cloud up the water until it settles,does this happen?

First the pictures

First I am going to attach the pictures, then I'll tell the story how I did it.

Attachments

• sandsubstrate_flash.jpg
    sandsubstrate_flash.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 67
  • sandsubstrate.jpg
    sandsubstrate.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 68
Ok, so a few weeks ago when it was still warm I had taken a fairly large bag of playground sand (like $5 at Home Depot, talk about cheap!) and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. I spent about 1/2 an hour swishing water through it, swirling the sand and really driving water into it, until the water was really coming out clear. Then due to lack of motivation, satisfaction with the tank the way it was and a hurt foot I put the covered 5 gallon bucket in the basement until this weekend.

I turned the filter off, since it has already made a racket once before once sand got sucked up into it. I brought the bucket upstairs and used a coffee cup to dump the sand in. The fish didn't seem to mind it, but they hated it that I had removed all the decorations to one end of the tank. When I was finished the water was somewhat cloudy but was clearing quickly. Once all the plants were replanted and the heater dusted off I refilled the water, using a bowl on the bottom to intercept the stream of water. Voila! Turned the filter back on and within 1/2 an hour it was crystal clear again.

I just checked my water parameters and I am 0 ppm for Ammonia and Nitrite, and down to 10 ppm for Nitrate (must be all those plants!). pH is still at 8.0.

The sand does not get all the bits of food in it that I expected, nor does the poop seem to collect. It is going somewhere, I know, but I know not where! When I did my first vacuum I turned off the filter and simply put the vac close to the sand and the water movement sucked the dead leaves up.

All in all I am pretty happy with it!

It looks great, fprintf! So that is just regular playsand? I wonder how it differs from the pool filter sand I used. . . .
gohabs9 said:
just a question on sand...
when you disturb the sand does it spread around the water and muck it up?, i would like to try sand but it seemed to be easily disturbed, and during a gravel vac, and cloud up the water until it settles,does this happen?
IME, the sand will easily become suspended in the water column. But, it pretty much immediately starts falling back down, but slowly. Inevitably, some sand ends up falling on plants & driftwood, but it's nothing a wave of a gravel vac can't take care of!

workfortheman said:
It looks great, fprintf! So that is just regular playsand? I wonder how it differs from the pool filter sand I used. . . .

Yep, just regular playsand found in the outdoor section of Home Depot. I am not sure how it differs but I can tell you it is really really fine sand.

Back
Top Bottom