Changing Decor - How to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MagnumVP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 10G tank with 6 fish, a frog and shrimp and want to change the decor.

I was thinking of taking the animals and placing them into our 1G tank using the existing tank water. Then draining the tank and replacing some decor.

Is there anything that I should be aware of or make sure that I do for the change?

How much decor are you thinking about moving? Usually when I change individual pieces I just take out the old piece and put the new one in after a good washing in hot water. I've never moved fish out to change decor, but if you're talking about a substrate change or something you definitely need to take them out.

I currently have a bridge and a bubbling volcano with tall plants in the middle (see profile pic). Was considering adding more gravel, removing the bridge along with half the tall plants. Moving the other half of the plants to the right and replacing the bridge with something of equivalent size or a little larger. Was also considering removing some or all of the ground cover.

Dont take the fish out if your just changing decor. Take them out of you are going to change the substrate. But, why would you not want a substrate in a regular show tank? I would leave the substrate (ground cover, as you called it.)

If I don't take the fish out of the tank do I risk stressing them too much with the constant moving the water and inserting and removing my arm into the tank?

Or is moving them to a temp tank just as stressful?

Probably more so, yeah.

I wouldn't move them. Fish aren't scared of water. :) They might swim about a bit, or cower in the corner, but I guarantee they'd have worse experienced in their native habitat when a big fish swam by...

Leave them, they will be fine. My fish get scared during water changes but they are back to normal soon. Don't worry about it.

+1 on leaving them in the tank. I too think that the best way to minimize stress in this situation is to leave them in their home. The move into another tank, especially that much smaller, will stress them more than you rearranging some decor. They will probably swim away, or stay in a corner, but naturally that's expected.
When your done, they will calm down and resume their usual lives. No big deal. If your still worried, you can keep the lights off for a bit, sometimes that helps with stress.

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm going to change the decor this weekend while leaving the fish in the tank. I'll have some pics when I'm done.

Thanks

I decided to give the fish some more room to swim and enjoy life.

Attachments

• image-4063297169.jpg
    image-4063297169.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2211242815.jpg
    image-2211242815.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2707108095.jpg
    image-2707108095.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 83
Here is one that I have. Volcano (Ring of Fire) on the left and a Bridge on the right with the tall plants in the middle.

Attachments

• image-8629247.jpg
    image-8629247.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 80
Thank you. I built up the right side with more gravel to give it more height and more of a drop off to the ship.

I forgot to mention that I also added a black backdrop to give it more depth and hide the cords and the wall. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom