Changing filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to change my filter from a top fin 40 to an aquaclear 70. The problem is that the AC has 3 stages of media and the top fin only has a cartridge and I don't want to re-cycle my aquarium because it's already stocked. My question is that if I could rip the cartridge apart and put the white media in place of the carbon so I won't have to cycle my aquarium all over again?

Sent from my LG-P659 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think that would work fine. The BB from the existing media will seed the ceramic media in a short amount of time. Would not hurt to check to see if there is a change in ammonia after making this change just to be on the safe side.

Or run both for 3 weeks if there is room

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Changing Filters

I want to change my filter from a top fin 40 to an aquaclear 70. The problem is that the AC has 3 stages of media and the top fin only has a cartridge and I don't want to re-cycle my aquarium because it's already stocked. My question is that if I could rip the cartridge apart and put the white media in place of the carbon so I won't have to cycle my aquarium all over again?

Hello boy...

You have extra bacteria on every surface inside your tank. So, it's not like you're removing it and starting over. I would schedule the filter change during the next water change. Save some of the old water and rinse the old filter in it really well. You're transferring a little bacteria to the new filter. Rinse the new filter media in the old water, fill the new filter with water per the instructions. Start up the new filter and your tank is good to go. Bacteria lost during the process will reproduce to its former level in a few hours.

B

Either put the cartridge into the AC70 or run them side-by-side for a week or two. You should be fine.
Test your water and do extra water changes as needed. Don't overstock until your cycle catches up.

My question is that if I could rip the cartridge apart and put the white media in place of the carbon so I won't have to cycle my aquarium all over again?

This is the best way you could do it. There is almost no chance of a mini cycle if you do it this way.

Back
Top Bottom