Changing filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I was noticing little particles floating around the tank. Today I did a water change, so I decided to put in some Marineland Rite-size filter media. Since the directions on the package said to put two layers of media in the filter, I put my current filter media in between the new media so the beneficial bacteria can transfer. I have an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 filter. Since I have so much media in my filter, I had to take out the "bio-holster", a plastic cover for the filter media that supposedly harbors beneficial bacteria. I had to remove it to fit all the media inside. So, I was just wondering if this will cause any problems with my cycle. Also is this setup okay?

image-1034364067.jpg

This is the "bio-holster":

image-878653372.jpg

Thank you! :thanks:

What bio-media do u have in filter, apart from the sponge? (sponge can also be used as bio media, but u need to rinse them from time to time. And if its floss or wool, that probably needs to be thrown away after a while. I never touch my main bio-media)

Did u also take the media out mid way of your cycle?

Its normal for your tank to look a bit messy and cloudy while cycling. Its hard to look at, I know. But once its complete, it will all fall into place.

What bio-media do u have in filter, apart from the sponge? (sponge can also be used as bio media, but u need to rinse them from time to time. And if its floss or wool, that probably needs to be thrown away after a while. I never touch my main bio-media)

Did u also take the media out mid way of your cycle?

Its normal for your tank to look a bit messy and cloudy while cycling. Its hard to look at, I know. But once its complete, it will all fall into place.

My current media is floss, but the new filter media I put in today is sponge (I think). Oh and "cycle" I meant the beneficial bacteria in my tank. My tank is already cycled, but I was just wondering if it was possible that when I removed the bio-holster, I lost some beneficial bacteria. (I did keep the old cartridge, though.)

My current media is floss, but the new filter media I put in today is sponge (I think). Oh and "cycle" I meant the beneficial bacteria in my tank. My tank is already cycled, but I was just wondering if it was possible that when I removed the bio-holster, I lost some beneficial bacteria. (I did keep the old cartridge, though.)

Beneficial Bacteria (bb) live on most surfaces in your tank. From gravel to rocks to sponges etc etc. And that's the truth. However, the bigger the surface area, the more bacteria would grow and live on it. And Filter media made for bb, normally has a large surface area for them to live in. So you would have lost a fair bit if you took your bio media out. But not all. Another reason for bio media, is gravel should be siphoned, and sponges in filter should be cleaned in a bucket of your aquarium water, at your water change time. So again you lose a little more bb that way. With bio-media in your filter, you hardly ever have to touch it. So it just grows and grows, and keeps your tank healthy.

I know you don't have room for the filter cartridge, but would you have enough room anywhere in your filter, for a little netting bag, filled with some bio media like seachem matrix? It can go nearly anywhere in filter.

Beneficial Bacteria (bb) live on most surfaces in your tank. From gravel to rocks to sponges etc etc. And that's the truth. However, the bigger the surface area, the more bacteria would grow and live on it. And Filter media made for bb, normally has a large surface area for them to live in. So you would have lost a fair bit if you took your bio media out. But not all. Another reason for bio media, is gravel should be siphoned, and sponges in filter should be cleaned in a bucket of your aquarium water, at your water change time. So again you lose a little more bb that way. With bio-media in your filter, you hardly ever have to touch it. So it just grows and grows, and keeps your tank healthy.

I know you don't have room for the filter cartridge, but would you have enough room anywhere in your filter, for a little netting bag, filled with some bio media like seachem matrix? It can go nearly anywhere in filter.

Thanks for the answer! I do have room for the cartridge, just not the plastic thing (bio-holster) that goes around it.

Back
Top Bottom