Changing filter out with cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So our 10 gal tank is cycled but we want to change to a bio wheel filter. What would be the best way to go about completely changing out the filter with out losing the cycle?

Would we place the media from the cycled filter in our new one or run 2 filters until the new one has been on there a while or would that be too much.

The filter we have on there now is a AquaClear 20. And we will be going to a Marineland Bio-Wheel Power Filter Penguin 100B.....

Yup! Both on low should be fine. water flow is the key. I think three weeks should be enough time. To seed the new filter well. But don't take that as law! Each system is different And when you decide to take off the small filter. This may
Be over kill but if you have the means you may want to keep the old filter pad from the filter your removing in a bucket of tank water from a water change with a air bubbler!( This will keep that filter alive) For a day or two just to be safe. You would only need it if you saw a change in you parameters in the first week of solo running the new filter.

I have had friend do the switch, chuck the old filter out only to find three days later their tanks start cycling because the new filter just wasn't seeded enough yet. Had they kept the old alive. Then they could have simply put the old filter back on for longer and I wouldn't have been fishing a few pounds of gravel out of my tank at almost midnight in boxers.....true story!

Good luck!!
If you have any questions feel free to ask!

After the 3ish weeks could I not just add the media from the old filter to the new one to be safe for a while?

Trying to figure out how I will do 2 filters at once, my lid doesn't have a second openning, I may have to have the lid not completely on for a while.

You could but only if your new filter has room. You don't want to crame it in and decrease water flow. I know my emperor 280 has two slots one for pad a the other is for a chemical filtration medium of your choice, which I filled with ceramic rings and hardy every touch. Other than that the only room is for water flow.

Alrighty. Thanks for the help. We will see how it goes. Should be getting the new filter by next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom