Changing filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BermudaBlue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gal planted aquarium with 4 fish and I want to switch filters because the one I am using is causing problems. I have no idea how to go about doing so because I need to establish beneficial bacteria in my new filter without harming my fish or moving them. Help?

2 choices to easily make the swap.

1) run both filters for about a month. This will seed the new filter while still having the bacteria in the old filter present.

2) take the filter media (sponge, etc) from the old filter and cram it into the new filter for a month. This way you get all the bacteria (that live on the sponge) into the new filter and don't have to run 2 filters.

2 choices to easily make the swap.

1) run both filters for about a month. This will seed the new filter while still having the bacteria in the old filter present.

2) take the filter media (sponge, etc) from the old filter and cram it into the new filter for a month. This way you get all the bacteria (that live on the sponge) into the new filter and don't have to run 2 filters.

+1, you might see a mini cycle depending on how you do it but if you can run both for a month i would do that.

Back
Top Bottom