Changing filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HandSomeDevil13

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I currently have a tetra whisper 10i in my five gallon tank that's been running for about a year now, I recently bought a Aquaclear 20 and wanted to replace my old filter with this one. Would I be able to add the bio media from the new filter and have it inside my current filter and eventually replace it? Or would I be at risk at a recycle?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could just take as much of the old filters media and put it in the new filter . Then just keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite for a few days . Or if you have room , run both filters for a couple weeks to seed the new filter . I have used both methods with success .

I'd take the filter bag off the "cage" from the whisper filter and fold it up the place on top of the sponge in the AQ filter under the bio and chemical media. Then just run the new filter. Since that filter bag off the old filter should be seeded with most of the tank's beneficial bacteria you should be good to go! Good idea to use a test kit just to make sure you dont see a small cycle and/or an ammonia spike.

Do you think it would be a good idea to try this out after a water change?

Do you think it would be a good idea to try this out after a water change?

It wouldn't make much difference if your water stats are good anyway. Small daily water changes after changes to your filter or stock levels are often a good precaution. However, regular water testing after any major changes in a tank is essential to gauge how the tank is reacting.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I tried adding the old filter cartridge to my new Aquaclear but it would fit not bend. Should I rip the old filter and try adding it to the new Aquaclear?

I also have a sponge in my old filter that I could add to the new filter.

I would just rip the fabric off the frame of the old filter, rinse it in used tank water during a water change, and put it under the biomax in the AQ. It will seed really quickly. Keep checking your params, and you'll be fine.

I would just rip the fabric off the frame of the old filter, rinse it in used tank water during a water change, and put it under the biomax in the AQ. It will seed really quickly. Keep checking your params, and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the help ?

Back
Top Bottom