Changing Filters and cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ficklewinds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently running a SunSun 303b canister filter and a HOB Penn Plax 200. The Penn Plax is on its last leg, motor sounds rough, and I have a Fluval C4 to replace it with. Since I have the canister filter, if I just put in the C4 will my cycle crash? Or do I need to try and salvage some media from the old one? I'm not so sure I can since the media in the old one is the kind designed for that filter.

Tank Filtration

I'm currently running a SunSun 303b canister filter and a HOB Penn Plax 200. The Penn Plax is on its last leg, motor sounds rough, and I have a Fluval C4 to replace it with. Since I have the canister filter, if I just put in the C4 will my cycle crash? Or do I need to try and salvage some media from the old one? I'm not so sure I can since the media in the old one is the kind designed for that filter.

Hello Fick...

There's beneficial bacteria on all the surfaces inside the tank and if you remove a bit from a filter, the colony will replace what's lost in a matter of hours, so don't fret over it. If you're able, remove the media from the old filter and squeeze the contents into the new media. You'll transfer a bit of the bacteria that way. Probably a good opportunity to perform a water change in the tank as well. Couldn't hurt.

B

Could start the Fluval whilst the Penn Plax is still in place, even if it's running a bit rough. Remove it after a couple of weeks. With careful feeding I can't see a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I was originally replacing the penn plax with the c4, but there was no room on the tank to add both HOB filters so I could seed the c4. I just added fish and didn't want to crash the cycle, so I figured I'd wait a month more before fooling with it. Now, I'm not so sure the stupid thing will hold out.

Might be a moot point anyhow..... My new fish all have cotton mouth.

Back
Top Bottom