Changing filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncgamerguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g freshwater aquarium that has been set up for about 10 months. I currently use a Tetra Whisper Ex70 over the top filter. It's a couple years old and operationally it work fine, except for the seal on the intake got cracked during my last move and leaks. (which means it just trickles back into the tank) I keep fixing it which lasts only about a day or 2. It's more of an annoyance then anything but I'm thinking about getting a new filter. So I need some advice. Should I just go buy the same filter I currently have so I can use the same filter media? Or should I get a different filter? I have started looking around and it seems that some other brands have a better Gph rate then the one I have, for about the same price if not cheaper. I want what ever will be better for my fish so any opinions/advice is appreciated in helping me make a decision.

Sent from my D6616 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd go for the highest gph you can afford, then simply run both filters for awhile. Your new one will become seeded in time. You could speed things up by squeezing some gunk from the old filter into the media basket of the new one.

Well I don't want to say money isn't a factor but it's not my main concern. I've just heard that over the top filters aren't the best for filtration so I'm looking at all my options. In tank, canister, etc. My wife is very understanding and I set money aside just to spend on my tank every month, that's why it has taken me this long to reach the point I can do upgrades. (working towards one day a bigger tank...lol)

Well I don't want to say money isn't a factor but it's not my main concern. I've just heard that over the top filters aren't the best for filtration so I'm looking at all my options. In tank, canister, etc. My wife is very understanding and I set money aside just to spend on my tank every month, that's why it has taken me this long to reach the point I can do upgrades. (working towards one day a bigger tank...lol)

I think you'll find that a very popular over the top, or hang on back filter as they are more commonly known is AquaClear. They have roomy media baskets that allow for more biological and mechanical filtration, water polishing, etc... they're very quiet, and fairly easy to clean. They do a super job and last a really long time.
There are also several reliable canister filters that do a great job. They are a little more involved, but are well worth the extra effort.
So basically, if you feel more comfy using a hang on back, I'd recommend an AquaClear. If you are looking to switch to a canister there's lots of folks here that could help you choose a suitable one. I've used Eheim's for years and I'm very happy with mine.

I think a HOB filter does the job of filtration perfectly adequately. The canisters are nice for some of their options (extra space for media, inline heater, less frequent cleaning) but IMO they are a pain to clean and honestly not noticeably more effective. For the price of a cheap canister you can get a very nice HOB filter. I like reygans suggestion of a aqua clear. I run two.

Back
Top Bottom