Changing fish to a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clifford_69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 90 litre tank with some community fish and I have brought a second hand tank which is 125 litre and comes with a used internal filter.

My question is once I have the new sand in the new tank what is the best way to go about swapping the fish into the new tank?

Do I have to wait for it to fully cycle again even though I'll use half the original water from my current tank plus the media already in the filter?

Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I currently have a 90 litre tank with some community fish and I have brought a second hand tank which is 125 litre and comes with a used internal filter.

My question is once I have the new sand in the new tank what is the best way to go about swapping the fish into the new tank?

Do I have to wait for it to fully cycle again even though I'll use half the original water from my current tank plus the media already in the filter?

Any help is appreciated

You'll just have to cycle it I'm afraid, there is NO beneficial bacteria carried in the water, it is all in the filter media.

You can use a product such as Fluval Cycle to get some beneficial bacteria going right away.
And add some filter media from the cycled tank and try to place it in the new filter.

Yes, you could also add fish to further speed up the cycling process, but, you will have to CLOSELY monitor the tanks parameters and when Ammonia or Nitrite gets out of hand, you'll need to do a water change immediately.

Another option is to just purchase some fish specifically for cycling, Zebra Danios are notoriously hardy and can withstand Ammonia fluctuations.

So I'll fill it up and wait for the cycle to complete is my best option?

The missus ain't gonna be happy with 3 tanks in the living room lol

Thanks for the reply

As long as you don't mean under gravel filter when you say internal then just switch the media over. The tank will then be instantly cycled and you won't have to deal with it. If you do have a under gravel filter in your old tank then just gather a bunch of it up into a filter media bag and stick it in the filter or hang it in front of some flow.

It really all just depends on what you mean by internal filter

It's a fluval filter which has suckers and sticks to the side of the tank lol. I have a canister filter from my current tank, would it be better to use that?

The extreme lack of detail you're giving is really not helping anything...

What other details would you need? I have a tank that's been up and running for 6 month. Brought a Second hand tank got new gravel for it. Used the same fluval u3 filter that was used previously. Just needed to know would the already used filter media and water from my old tank be enough for the tank to not need to go through a full cycle. The first person to reply seemed to understand.

What other details would you need? I have a tank that's been up and running for 6 month. Brought a Second hand tank got new gravel for it. Used the same fluval u3 filter that was used previously. Just needed to know would the already used filter media and water from my old tank be enough for the tank to not need to go through a full cycle. The first person to reply seemed to understand.

The filter carries almost all of the beneficial bacteria. It should be enough to not cause another cycle assuming you use your old filters on the new tank.

Sorry, I thought you never said what size tank this was for. My bad.

I'll be setting up a new filter very soon as well and all I'll be doing is keeping both running for a month or so to make sure it goes smoothly.

Basically, as long as you have at least one cycled filter in the tank, the second one will be fine to accompany it.

That's what I wondered I'll leave it running until tomorrow evening and then test the water.

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom