Changing from gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think I am going to try a sand bottom for a while to see how it goes. Some like it, some don't, so I have to figure this one out myself.

My question is: When I remove all of the gravel, all of the bacteria in the gravel is going to go with it. The new sand won't have any. I do have two cartridges in my filter, which will help, but is that going to be enough to avoid problems when I remove the gravel?

Also, any tips on doing the change over?

This is a 10 gallon tank that gets weekly 50% water changes. My most sensative fish is a blue ram.

I had this same question, what most people said was to change 50% of the gravel for sand and then do the other 50% about a week later.

Just some pointers:
make sure the filter can be used with sand / marine usage, because you use sand in marine settings. I think the penguin biowheel filters are sand safe.
when vaccuming the sand only hover the siphon over the sand about an inch or so depending on the strength of the siphon, so it gets the junk and not the sand.
make sure you clean it really well before adding to the tank so that it clears faster.

Good Luck!! :)

Lots of people change from gravel to sand, and don't have any problems. I will let someone who's actually done the change tell you more about it.

I changed all my sand at once which I later found out was a mistake but live and learn right, from recommendations on this site I used pool filter sand. I love the look of it and its large enough grain that it doesn't cloud up your water when its disturbed, make sure though if you replace all the gravel at once monitor your level and be prepared for some water changes if your ammonia or trites rise. Good luck :) I've always liked the look of sand better :D

How do you change half at a time? The answer is probably simple but I am not getting it.

Scoop out half the gravel and replace it with sand. Than leave it alone for about 2 weeks. Let the BB grow. Than repeat for the other side.

I did it all at once with no problems. I just left my filters running, even while adding the sand to the tank. Nothing happened.

I also done mine all at once in multiple tanks. My 50,75,and 100 with no mini cycle.

Do you take out the gravel with water still in the tank? I was thinking that I would take all the water out, but now I wonder if that is necessary.

I changed over from gravel to sand in my 55 gallon tank about a month ago. I did a total replacement of water and started fresh. I did save the bio wheels from my filter. Put my fish in the new set up about 6 hours later with no problem. I did have a spike in ammonia and nitrites at first but after a week, everything settled back to good levels. imo sand looks much more natural. I used pool filter sand from home depot. can't beat the price.

I don't know if I can afford a spike with the ram. I will think on it some more. I plan on doing it this weekend if I can. I may just have to figure out how to change half at a time. My concern there is getting all of the gravel out. I guess what is left would be covered by the sand once I did the second half.

What about taking some or all of the old gravel, adding it into a fine mesh bag and leaving it in the tank while the sand gets a bacteria colony started?

should have told you that the spike was only from 0 ppm to .05 ppm. Don't know what your fish could take but that was a very small amount in my tank. The ammonia is back to 0 ppm now after only a week. nitrites back to 0 ppm and nitrates 10 ppm.

When I did mine I just did it all at once. I had to do a few water changes but only because the water was a little cloudy and never had any problems!! Just keep your filter media wet and I think you will be just fine!

Back
Top Bottom