Changing from gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I kinda want to change from gravel to black sand blasting sand. How would I go about doing this? Get all my fish into a 5 gallon bucket (3 GBR and 5 rosy barbs). Do the switch and then put them all back?

I kinda want to change from gravel to black sand blasting sand. How would I go about doing this? Get all my fish into a 5 gallon bucket (3 GBR and 5 rosy barbs). Do the switch and then put them all back?

Sounds like you have a basic plan. Be sure to wash the sand really well, then wash it again.

that can work but i recommend put some old grave in a nylon or aquatic bag of some kind to help with BB as for how to do it is the way you find it simple

I put sand in my 20 gallon long tank a while back (30"x12") I think I used 40 pounds of sand. I wanted lots of sand for my kribs to dig in. It is really all just personal preference as to how much sand you want.

I just switched my gravel to sand in my 30. I put my fish in another tank with a bubble stone & made the switch. I left them In The other tank over night & let the tank settle, I recommend doing this early morning so you can put your fish back in when the sand settles so you don't kill off your bb like i thought i did. Mines only about 3-4 inches deep though so I only used about 10-15 lbs if that much. My advice is put some panty hose over the filter & let it run while its settling so no sand gets sucked up the tube making for more clean up & clogs. I was given this advice & it worked. I also lowered the water about 3/4 & scooped out all the gravel & started filling with well rinsed sand. I think you'll enjoy the sand much better, I know we do!

Be sure to wash sand good, I made the mistake once..and never again! I used a full bag (50 lb) for my 40 breeder and I have almost 2 inches all the way around.

Back
Top Bottom