Changing my substrate and need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMaiden

Aquarium Advice Freak
That place between sleeping and awake, where drea
I'm wanting to put sand in thebottom of a planted brackish tank. What kind of sand would be best? I should mix it with about 1/4 to half of my current substrate to keep the beneficial bacteria going right?? How do I go about adding it? Do I have to take all fish outta tank first? Do I have to do a 100% breakdown to add this? Any help would be great.

I think I got lucky when I added sand to my 29G.

I used pool filter sand and just poored it in. The water got cloudy but cleared up overnight and all the fish have been fine.

I added it over the existing gravel and didn't mix it at all cuz I was trying to bury some very pesky algae.

Cool thanks zagz, I really like the DIY funnel idea!! Also since my dragon fish is a brackish to marine fish can I safely usecoral sand or marine sand, or do I just need regular sand? Or do I use regular sand mixed with planted tank sand for the plants to grow good?
LoneWolfBlue has a lot of planted tanks, what is he using??

Wolf uses Eco complete in his planted tanks. Plant will do fine in sand as long as it is not to fine grained. That can crush the roots.

Back
Top Bottom