Changing Sand Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pictuslover23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright, so I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, I apologize if it isn't. Anyway, a few days ago I decided that I wanted to switch my white sand to black as I think it would look better. Now that I've found the substrate that I'm going to use (black crushed granite grit), I'm wondering exactly how to prepare and execute this so it's as easy on my fish and biological filter as possible. So if you have done this before any advice would be appreciated! Cheers!

What size is your tank and what do you have in there?

I've changed substrates with fish in the tank often and had no difficulty with my filter or the fish recovering from it.

I use the little plastic dustpan that comes with a handheld set. I bring the water down 50% and then scoop up the existing substrate with the dustpan and plop it into a bucket. You can get into corners well and it removes pretty much all of the substrate.

Sand is a little trickier than gravel as it tends to sift off as you lift the pan up out of the tank. Then, put a plastic dinner plate against the side of the interior wall. Slide your new substrate into the tank between the plate and the interior wall. You can later smooth it out on the floor of the tank with your fingers. You get less dust this way and it seems to be less stressful on the fish.

Thanks for the advice! I'd be doing both my 28 and 20 gallon aquariums. The 20 has a pair of kribs with their fry. The 28 has 2 pictus ( taking them out worries me because of their fins) upside down catfish, swordtails, and a male convict (who I'm planning to re home but I'm not sure when) I also have a lots of amazon swords and anubias.

Back
Top Bottom