Changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie_dave

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have plain sand in my aquarium at them minute but thinking about changing to some black and white sand if I do will it completely get rid of all the good bacteria or will my filter instantly cycle the tank ready just to put my fish straight back in?

If your filters been running a while than instant cycle, just keep it in a bucket of tank water while you swap substrate..

What would be the best way to remove the sand I was thinking about using the syphon as it works well when I don't want loads of sand to be sucked up when I do a water change haha

Yah... It's a pain.. Are you going to remove the fish and drain the tank??

Yeah was thinking it would be less stress on them, would it not look like a sand storm if I drop the in with the water in there because when I went from gravel to sand I completely emptied the tank and put the sand in with no water at all (part from what I washed it in) and it was pretty messy

Well here's the result it's a bit cloudy but I'm sure it will clean up in a couple of hours

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399060614.811490.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399060614.811490.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom