Changing tank concept - South American cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,

I used to post on here 3 or 4 years ago and loved the site, but I found a local (Australian) forum that took over. Now I have a question that I thought you guys could help me with :)

I have had my planted 4 ft tank with the same stock for about 4 years. Now my beautiful odessa barbs are starting to look a bit old - I looked up their lifespan, and apparently 3-4 years is all I should expect.

So, this got me thinking about what to do next. I have grown fond of some of the South American cichlids - specifically severums, festivums, and convicts. These guys would have to go with the remainder of the occupants - loaches, bns and giant danios. I would probably have to remove most of the plants, too, replace them with more anubias and java fern, but that's ok - I have other plant-focused tanks.

What do you guys think? Is a pair from each species too much to add to a tank that already has 3 giant danios, 4 yoyo loaches, 4 dario loaches, and 2 bristlenoses?

Can you make any other species suggestions that I might like for this sort of tank?

thanks for the suggestion ;) i actually don't like african cichlids - i'll stick to the americans :)

Welcome back! :)

What size tank? 4 ft leaves quite a bit of variance. If 75+, a pair of festivum or severum should work. I personally wouldn't choose cons because they will reproduce and they get mean. I wouldn't try more than one pair.

it's a standrd 4ft (or at least what is considered standard here) - 55g. so that's too small for a pair of each? what about 1 of each, then? or would they be happier in a pair?

Festivums will be great in groups, severums are great by themselves oe as pairs but they will breed and be aggressive when they do.

ok, that helps, thanks. it looks like a single severum with a group of 3 or 4 festivums might be the way to go.

That would look awesome. Are there any apistos that would complement the tank or would they eventually become severum food?

yeah, i thought about a nice pair of apistos, but they're hard to find here at the moment. might be a long term plan. i hope to have a fair number of places the smaller fish could hide. if the severum ends up getting too big and too aggressive for a fish that size, he might have to be rehomed. i hope it doesn;t come to that, though.

Back
Top Bottom