Changing tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfuchs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been doing saltwater and am fairly new to freshwater. My friend has a 40 gal freshwater tank with two Tiger Oscars. We are going to be setting up a 90 gal tank to transfer the fish to, and at the same time add some more fish.

I have two questions:

1) Is there anyway that I can move the fish from one tank to the other without having to wait for the new tank to cycle? Are the Oscars hardy enough?

2) What other fish can we put in with the Oscars? They are now about 3-4" long.

Thanks for all your input.

Marcel :p

The tank will have to cycle to accomidate the Oscars and new fish. There are a few ways to skip a few steps in the cycling process. 1) Bio-Spira, if you can get ahold of a good batch, you are SET! 2) Put the filtration unit from the 40 gal onto the 70 gal. Let it run in addition to the filtration unit for the 70 gal. This will shave some time off. 3) In addition to the filtration unit, use the gravel from the 40 gal in the 70. Do not let the gravel dry out, always have used tank water keeping it wet.

Put the oscars in a large container of tank water and transfer the gravel, water and filter to the new tank. Top off with ceclored water that matches tank temp. I did this when moving from a 55 to a 125. Same effect as a large water change. I had no cycle at all. You probably will not be able to add much to the 90 with the oscars. They will grow about a inch a month and reach around 12 inches. Most people figure 50 gal per oscar. Good luck :D

Back
Top Bottom