Changing tanks today.Need some advice!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a fully cycled 55 gallon tank with two oscars and two plecos.I have to move everything from my old 55 to a new 55.If I move everything over to my new tank,[Both emperor 400's,all rocks and decor,and substrate]will my new tank be instantly cycled or will I have to go through the cycle all over again?Can I do a deep gravel vac on my old tank first?

Since you are taking the filter and rocks with you to the new tank, you should not need to cycle again. Just make sure they do not dry out as you do the change or the bacterial culture will be killed. You may want to use 1/2 of the water from your old tank and 1/2 new, treated water. Even though the bacteria reside on surfaces and not the water column, too much of a water change may trigger a mini cycle.

I don't see a problem with the gravel vac. That, IMHO, would be a good idea, since you don't want to start off the new tank with a lot of mulm in the gravel. On the other hand, removing the gravel will put much of the detritus in suspension in the water, so most of it may not make its way into the new tank anyway.

I would do a good gravel vac before moving the gravel. That way you can suck out most of the nasty gunky stuff. You're plan sounds good to me. :D

Thanks for the advice..I have everything moved over to my new 55 and it looks good so far..I put 40% of the old water in 5 gallon buckets and put all of the ornaments and plastic plants and rocks in the buckets with the water covering them so I would not kill all of the good bacteria that was already there.I syphoned all the rest of the water out except for about 4 inches so I could use that water to kind of wash the gravel before putting in the new tank.I put about 4 inches of old tank water in the new tank and then put the old gravel in.I filled the new tank with the rest of the old water and added the decor from the old tank and filled it up with new treated tap water.I use stress coat.I let it sit running for around 2 hours and tested it and the ammonia was 0.25 and nitrites 0 and nitrates 10.I am going to test it again now seeing how this is the next morning and I will post numbers in a minute or so. :)

Back
Top Bottom