Changing the filter in a Hang on Back filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahochan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I'm currently cycling a small tank that has a Tetra Whisper Power Filter. The "manual" says to change the filter once a month.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here, but isn't the filter where most of the bacteria necessary to the tank live? Wouldn't it be a very bad idea to change the filter while the tank is still cycling? How about when its finished cycling? Is it just part of a tetra money making scheme, or should I actually buy a new filter cartridge every now and then?

Take it out and rinse it in tank water from a water change, and put back in. If the filter starts to get too bad or starts falling apart, then replace it.

I take a pitcher and scoop out about 1/2 gallon of tank water before I do a water change. I use this water to rinse out my Co2 diffuser sponge and the filter media from my cannister filter. Tetra would love for you to buy a new filter pad every month...

Lonewolfblue said:
Take it out and rinse it in tank water from a water change, and put back in. If the filter starts to get too bad or starts falling apart, then replace it.

Of the water you take out... not the water IN the tank... right?

Either way, just make sure the water is de-chlorinated. You don't want to kill off the benny bacteria, just clean it up a little.

Either the water you take out or new water that has been dechlorinated. I use the old tank water myself in a small bucket.

you might wanna cut open the flosss and remove the old carbon.

otherwise, everyone else has covered what's important :)

malkore,

What is the benefit of removing the old carbon. If left in there wont it just become inert over time?

Brian

Keep in mind that over time the filters can become so clogged that they are absolutely useless, in which case, you do need to change them. Just monitor it on your own and use your best judgement. When you do change it, don't touch your filter pad, that way you still have a nice stash of bacteria and your tank will be fine.

On my 10 gal. I change it around once every three months (small fish/small load)
On my 50 gal. I have two filters and I alternate changes every 3-4 weeks. They get dirty quick (due to my fish/bioload), but alternating changes ensures plenty of bacteria remains.

What is the benefit of removing the old carbon. If left in there wont it just become inert over time?
appeoximately 3 days for activated carbon to become inert

Of the water you take out... not the water IN the tank... right?
Yes ... of the water that was removed frin the tank already

Back
Top Bottom