Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

changing to sand.

So i have gravel, bought 4 corys to out in my betta 10 gal and realized sand would be better. So what kind to grt? Pfs i assume means pool filter sand, but what sized sand grains do i want? Can i get black sand?

Old 06-19-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I went with the sand from my lfs can't really remember the brand but it is pretty fine and I have cities and they love it! I have black and it makes everythings colors seem to pop out IMO. I wouldn't get white because with sand of course everything stays on the top so you can see everything. Also everyone seems to recommend Pfs, I haven't used it yet but it seems to be easier to clean and aquarium safe, which is a win win. I hope you enjoy your sand!

Old 06-19-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like using a tad bit bigger grain then like a powered sand, kinda like course sugar, someone will pipe in and know the perfect size for Corys, if the grains too fine gets a little harder to clean because it will suck up really easy, but the flip side is less debris will get into it and there is more surface area for bacteria
Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I went to my lfs, got me a white/blue mystery snail, and a package of stoney river premium aquarium sand. Wow... it was 5 bucks for 5 lbs, a bit pricey, but whatever, came in white or black ( well really tan not really white) and I got the black, to help pull out the colors of my fish) I cleaned the sand using a bucket and panty hose, and then was ready for the plunge. What I realized is this sand didn't kick up like the sand I've seen people on youtube use, I've hd my tank sand bottomed for 5 min now, and I felt safe enough to put my fish in, as the water was crystal clear already..I like this sand, my cories like this sand, and its the size of grain sugar..so I'm assume that's just about right....I recommend stoney river sand
Old 06-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

Congrats on your new sand! Hope your fish like it.

Just a heads up, when doing water changes, you might water to stir up with sand a little to kill the Nitrogen Pockets or you could Malaysian Trumpet Snails (The snails get way down in the sand, unlike other snails, killing the pockets.)
Old 06-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I was thinking trumpet snail, and I think they only breed in brackish, so ill get 5. Or so? So far my cories are trying their best to stir up all the sand and make a big mess, but this sand isn't getting cloudy..I really like it, and was nervous that my sand would get stirred up too easy and make my tank cloudy. Not the case..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110620_144707.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	41062  
Old 06-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy guy
Yeah, I was thinking trumpet snail, and I think they only breed in brackish, so ill get 5. Or so? So far my cories are trying their best to stir up all the sand and make a big mess, but this sand isn't getting cloudy..I really like it, and was nervous that my sand would get stirred up too easy and make my tank cloudy. Not the case..
Mts breed in warm waters does not need to be brackish at all
Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, well aside from cories, who else would be good at sifting my sand, but not over populate my tank? Worst case I can just sift it every few days, as it doesn't kick up, I don't mind the extra work, the sand looks really good, and the black makes my fish look brighter
Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

They won't over populate unless u over feed I personally think if u have live plants get them they are the best and ur plants will thank u
Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well no live plants, yet. I have no idea what kind of lighting id need to get, and I don't wana spend a ton on it, but I am interested in marimo moss balls, and anachris, because I believe anachris soaks up nitrates? (May be another plant, still new to the planted scene, but still Really interested)

Tags
changing, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com