changing to sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i have gravel, bought 4 corys to out in my betta 10 gal and realized sand would be better. So what kind to grt? Pfs i assume means pool filter sand, but what sized sand grains do i want? Can i get black sand?

I went with the sand from my lfs can't really remember the brand but it is pretty fine and I have cities and they love it! I have black and it makes everythings colors seem to pop out IMO. I wouldn't get white because with sand of course everything stays on the top so you can see everything. Also everyone seems to recommend Pfs, I haven't used it yet but it seems to be easier to clean and aquarium safe, which is a win win. I hope you enjoy your sand!;)

I like using a tad bit bigger grain then like a powered sand, kinda like course sugar, someone will pipe in and know the perfect size for Corys, if the grains too fine gets a little harder to clean because it will suck up really easy, but the flip side is less debris will get into it and there is more surface area for bacteria

So I went to my lfs, got me a white/blue mystery snail, and a package of stoney river premium aquarium sand. Wow... it was 5 bucks for 5 lbs, a bit pricey, but whatever, came in white or black ( well really tan not really white) and I got the black, to help pull out the colors of my fish) I cleaned the sand using a bucket and panty hose, and then was ready for the plunge. What I realized is this sand didn't kick up like the sand I've seen people on youtube use, I've hd my tank sand bottomed for 5 min now, and I felt safe enough to put my fish in, as the water was crystal clear already..I like this sand, my cories like this sand, and its the size of grain sugar..so I'm assume that's just about right....I recommend stoney river sand

Congrats on your new sand! Hope your fish like it.

Just a heads up, when doing water changes, you might water to stir up with sand a little to kill the Nitrogen Pockets or you could Malaysian Trumpet Snails (The snails get way down in the sand, unlike other snails, killing the pockets.)

Yeah, I was thinking trumpet snail, and I think they only breed in brackish, so ill get 5. Or so? So far my cories are trying their best to stir up all the sand and make a big mess, but this sand isn't getting cloudy..I really like it, and was nervous that my sand would get stirred up too easy and make my tank cloudy. Not the case..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110620_144707.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110620_144707.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 162
hippy guy said:
Yeah, I was thinking trumpet snail, and I think they only breed in brackish, so ill get 5. Or so? So far my cories are trying their best to stir up all the sand and make a big mess, but this sand isn't getting cloudy..I really like it, and was nervous that my sand would get stirred up too easy and make my tank cloudy. Not the case..

Mts breed in warm waters does not need to be brackish at all

Hmm, well aside from cories, who else would be good at sifting my sand, but not over populate my tank? Worst case I can just sift it every few days, as it doesn't kick up, I don't mind the extra work, the sand looks really good, and the black makes my fish look brighter

They won't over populate unless u over feed I personally think if u have live plants get them they are the best and ur plants will thank u

Well no live plants, yet. I have no idea what kind of lighting id need to get, and I don't wana spend a ton on it, but I am interested in marimo moss balls, and anachris, because I believe anachris soaks up nitrates? (May be another plant, still new to the planted scene, but still Really interested)

Your tank looks nice. Sand is really easy to clean IMO. I have a larger grain sand in my 10gal and when I clean it I just swish the tube around to stir it up and I'm good.
By the way, is the name of your tank ZELDA?

I like your tank too, I was going to get black sand but got another small gravel for free. I heard that the darker substrate is supposed to keep the fish's stress level down. I bought Red Flint sand and mixed it with the gravel and I like it but it required a lot of washing. Congrats on the conversion.

We just switched one of our tanks out to Tahitian moon sand. And added some home made rock structures. In the process of making more caves.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110620_152439.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110620_152439.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 149
Here's a better pic.. sorry the light was screwy in the last one.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110620_152652.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110620_152652.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 135
No my tank actually isn't named lol, I've just been playing zelda 3d since Sunday.. anyways, I like the rock and plants in your sand, what kind of light setup would I need for that type planting setup, as I really want real plants, to keep my bettas fins extra good. Anyways, I put some gravel from a previous tank to add some color... I like it, now it just needs live plants :) (can't upload photos from phone for somereason :( )

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110620_202226.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110620_202226.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 116
  • ForumRunner_20110620_202347.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110620_202347.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20110620_202429.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110620_202429.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 120
Hmm guess it did..weird... also I really only want to add inverts. Or snail type things, as its deff. At its stock capacity

The lights in that tank are just the stock led lights. The plants are anacharis And wisteria and some bamboo which will do OK under standard lighting. They might not grow very fast, but they won't die either. I have loads of it in my planted tank which as of right now is a 130 watts compact.

Back
Top Bottom