Changing wally word to penguin Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abomb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a bio mini for my 10 gal thanks to great deal at big al's. My quesiton is whats the best way to go about switching my wal mart filter out and the bio in? Willl i loose precious bacteria? i dont want my tank to crash and i was hoping someone here in this huge vault of knowledge could assit me in the best posible procedure.

Thanks

Adam

The wal-mart filter.

is it regent? or is it aquatech?

If its regent, thats nothing but a penguin mini without a biowheel, so just take teh filter insert from the regent and stick it in the penguin mini, that will give you a good strong seed.

not to mention the bacteria thats already established in the tank itself.

If the filter doesnt fit, I could suggest one other thing, do a small water change, then drop your old filter insert into that water, and clean it out as best you can in the old tank water. Then get a new insert for your new filter, and drop it into the same water, and let it soak up as much of the 'grime' out of that dirty water, then drop it into the new filter.

it is a regent.... should i have just kept that filter? i think the bio wheel is better...anyways i think i need to use the new filter cartridge cause this filter is all beat up and should be replaced.

Adam

No, Id go with the biowheel, and you can use the new cartridge, but, like I said, just kinda 'dunk' it in some old water, let it pick up some of the bacteria

I think I'd run the old cartridge for a few days until the bio wheel has a chance to get some bacteria growing on it. JMHO.

That would definately do the trick as well, as long it fits the new filter, if not, could always just run both filters together for a couple days

The Regent Mini and the Penguin mini are the same filter.

You *should* just be able to take your penguin mini biowheel, and the top cover and just slap them on the regent filter you have right now.

and not even have to worry about changing filter units out.

I personally don't think you are going to crash your tank by simply putting on the new filter and going on about your business. It is not much different than putting in a clean filter cartridge. There are tons of bacteria present inside your tank on all surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom