Changing water in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyperson3010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi
What is the best way to get old water out of a tank and new water into the tank?
I used a bucket on my old 30 litre but on my new 180 litre I make about 8 trips up and down the stairs
Thanks

On my 350 litre tank I syphon it strait into the drain in my garden and I fill it up using a hose on a tap connecter so I can mix hot and cold water, then I dose the tank with conditioner ( I use the API 1 ) and just keep checking the temp as its filling.

You can try a python, lee's, or aqueon water changer. Its basically a long hose that has a special connector that screws on to the sink's faucet. It can drain your tank and fill it back up with little effort.

I use a 30litre plasterers bucket from BandQ. I change out 3 buckets once a week. My tank is upstairs and I empty my old water into the bath.

After I've removed 3 buckets I then refill 3 buckets. This makes a 90litre water change on my 200litre tank. Allowing for decor and substrate/plants I'm getting around a 50% PWC by doing the 3 buckets.

However I'm a pretty big guy 6'3" 195lbs so 30litres of water isn't too difficult to handle in one go.

If you have no near by drainage as you are upstairs you could always use some hose pipe and syphon down stairs and out.

Jon

fishyperson3010 said:
Thanks my tank is upstairs with no nearby taps

That still fine. The sink I use is in my basement and my thirty gallon is upstairs and my 55 is on main level. You just need to get one of the larger python models.

Back
Top Bottom