Changins substrate. Gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 55 gallon I currently have gravel. I'm looking at the possibility of going to a light beige sand color. How/when should I make this change?

I recently did this switch, it went v smoothly. Scooped the gravel from the middle to the side with a litter tray scoop ( new for this purpose lol). Then did the same for the other side. I pulled out any prnaments etc and left the fish in. They just went to the opposite side of the tank i was clearing at the time. I figured this was less stressfull than netting them into buckets. I had prewashed the sand, and put dechloronator in the final rinse in the sand bucket. I left just enough water in tocover the sand, then turned off my filter. I did give the tank bottom a good syphoning over as i was removing gravel.
I then scooped the wet sand into a jug and placed it at one side of the tank to the bottom. I just poured it out keeping the flow v close to the bottom. I covered the whole tank this way going from left to right. Sand caused no problems at all. Put fress water in the tank as id removed about half put stuff back into the tank, fish and me v happy! :)

Ok that sounds like a vey good idea. I was worried about doing it by netting the fish out but this seems better. So you just put sand into the jug and poured it into the tank that way?

Did anyone have any problems with a mini cycle after the switch

I have switched almost all my tanks from gravel to sand and have never not once experienced a mini cycle. I have done 3 outta 4 of my tanks(100,75,55). Have you decided on what sand you will be using?

I think I'm going to use a beige or white pool filter sand. Mostly because of the cost and the need to only rinse it a couple of times.

Halfway done!

Attachments

• image-4016329911.jpg
    image-4016329911.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 56
My pictus seem to be scared of the sand I kinda feel bad for them because they are confined to half of the tank

Back
Top Bottom