Channel Catfish lonely

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjohnson75

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a albino channel catfish and a blue gourami living happily together. However, we want to add back in a couple fish....the channel catfish managed to eat all the others living in our tank :( . Our tank is currently 29 gal....we will be upgrading to a 55 gal very soon as the little guy has gotten to about 6" already. I am looking for any advise on companions the catfish will not (hopefully) eat. I've done some research and know to get a semi-aggressive fish and one big enough not to fit in his mouth. any suggestions?? They would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Years ago I had a albino channel catfish when it got large (about 18") it started attacking it's tank mates. I traded it in at a LFS and went back a few days later to find it in with a breeding pair of Red Devils. It's tank mates were 2 large Tin Foil barbs, a Pacu and a Oscar. This was my experience yours may be different. IMO some fish should have warning labels or not be sold at all.

Last edited:
I had an albino channel cat last year. He was 23 inches long. He was living in a 90 gallon with 2 large gold severums (8 inches) and 1 large pleco.(10 inches)
We traded all the fish at our LFS after having that tank for 2 years. He did real well with the severums. Good Luck:D

Moving this to the FW general discussion forum. You`ll get more answers there.

Back
Top Bottom