chasing Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Territory, mates, and food.

What type of tetra and how many do you have? Depending on the species, they should be kept in schools of five or more like cardinals, neons, glo-lites, silver tips (silver tips are really nippy with each other), black neons, rummynoses, etc. Some however perfer to be in pairs or what I call loose schools. They don't hang in a tight school but rather keep a distance from each other and form pairs like bleeding hearts, black phantoms, red serpaes, even black skirts.

There are five Neons, only had them few days, this is the first time they have done this.they have now calmed down and are schooling as normal.Posted on getting started forum and replies back said its a neon thing.None of their profiles say this though.Reckon i've got abunch of nutters!Think they are too small to breed.

Nah, just the mood of the day. If they're new fish they were just probably really skittish. When I added my black skirts, my head lights got in a frenzy and everyone was chasing everyone else. That ended after a short while and now they all school together.

Even schools of peaceable fish may exibit behavior related to establishing a pecking order...especially in new territory.

...and codefox...headlights are notorious for giving newbies in the tank a hard time...LOL. They are one of the more aggressive of the tetras. They definately have their attitudes ;)

Yeah but they've been peaceful ever since. I knew they were a bit feisty but that's one of (many) reasons they're in there. Once I put the angels in I expect they'll hold their own ;)

Now all 10 headlights & 8 black skirts school happily together. :D

Back
Top Bottom