cheap co2 set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steeledarren

Aquarium Advice Activist
i am looking into getting some plants, real of course. i am gonna start with java fern, but would like to get more once i see how it goes with moss balls and java fern, i know you dont need co2 with them, but i also hear that they flourish with it. what i am asking is what is a good setup for a beginner, i dont want a big bottle next to the tank, my fiancee will hit the roof lol, also i dont want to spend an arm and a leg, got them saved for some more denisonni barbs lol, got a budget of about £20-£50

Is this for your 55g tank (My Tanks link)? If so, I think you may have problems trying to do DIY CO2 - which is a cheap way to add CO2. I would let some others chime in as far as DIY CO2 goes. I personally run a pressurized set up.

I have DIY co2 on a 52g and know a guy in houston that has diy on his 75, just need more brewing space and containers, I use 2 liters, he uses a 5g liquid's jug.

I keep mine stable and have it into an accumulator then to a Bubble counter then to a powerhead for diffusion. I stay on the smiley side of things on my Co2 indicator.

I have both diy and pressurized Co2 systems running at my house.

yeah on my 55g, sorry but i am totally un familiar with using co2, so i dont know what different set ups you can get, i saw one that nutrafin does on ebay, are they any good?

I'll be following the answers on this thread as well, once my 75g is setup, CO2 will be the next step, but it won't be until next tax return that pressurized would be an option.

there are two styles, yeast reactive and pressurized. the cheap ones are yeast reactive and nothing more then a DIY but what you buy is for a SMALL tank, usually 30g and under.

Nutrafin makes a glorified small scale DIY unit.

I run DIY on mine and every 3-4 weeks I change out 2 of the 4 bottles and constantly keep great Co2 levels in the tank.

personally i wouldnt even bother from what you said so far. DIY might be lower start up fee but has a higher long term fee them pressurized co2. its also a lot more work. both of the plants you talked about are low light slow growing plants. even with co2 it wont me too much help to them.

personally i wouldnt even bother from what you said so far. DIY might be lower start up fee but has a higher long term fee them pressurized co2. its also a lot more work. both of the plants you talked about are low light slow growing plants. even with co2 it wont me too much help to them.

true, my brewers yeast costs as much as one 5# fill and the 5# lasts months.

5 pound should last 6-12 months.... take into account the surge and the amount you spend switch bottles ever couple weeks.... plus the smell lol

Back
Top Bottom