cheapest place to buy 75gallon aquariums???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egb18c

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 36gallon eclipse freshwater tank with 4 oscars. and im ready to buy a bigger tank. im looking for the cheapest 75g or 100g. ive searched google but not much luck. the cheapest 75g. ive found was a top fin for $190. wich is pretty cheap. but it makes me mad cause the 55g. made by top fin is only $120 plus it includes a whisper 330gph filter.
so if anyone knows of any cheap sites to check out let me know. tia.

Check your LFS. Many times they sell tanks for pretty cheap, AND you wont have to pay outragous shipping charges.

ive checked them all. petsmart&walmart are the cheapest. do you think i can find a 75g cheaper than $190??

if you are not in a hurry to get one I would recommend checking the papers for used tanks. If you have the patience you will be able to find some great deals even on the larger tanks.

I agree with poppab02 on the local papers--even check eBay to see if anyone local is selling a tank.

Aside from the tank, you will need a stand and they are very expensive. Sara has been writing about her great find in the FW general discussion forum. it can be done!

[center:7f02476925] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, egb18c! :n00b: [/center:7f02476925]

I have found some incredible deals in my local Bargain Trader -type paper, tank and stand, hood, lights included. Once you get over 55gal the glass needs to be thicker to hold the water, so that is the reason for the price jump.

My lfs sells just the 75gal tank alone for $140. No hood or light. I almost got one a while back but decided it was to big for this small house.
Used you can get everything but the fish, tank stand, filter, lights, heater, gravel and decorations for around $300.

chasgood said:
My lfs sells just the 75gal tank alone for $140. No hood or light. I almost got one a while back but decided it was to big for this small house.
Used you can get everything but the fish, tank stand, filter, lights, heater, gravel and decorations for around $300.
$140???? wow, thats an extremely good deal. was it a top fin?
my friend works at petsmart and she can get 30% discount so im most likely gonna buy the 75 gallon they sale for $190 wich will be around $145 with discount.

4 oscars in a 75 gal will be a tight fit when they are grown. Most oscar lovers recommend at least 50 gals for one oscar, 75 for two oscars and so on.

Menagerie is right.

You will need a tank way bigger then 75gal for 4 Adult Oscars.
I have my four in a 180gal.
They may fit now but Oscars grow VERY fast and will outgrow that tank in no time.
Adult Oscars will grow to over 12+in. and wont be able to turn around in such a narrow tank.
If you keep them in a small rank for to long you will stunt their growth.
HTH

Menagerie said:
4 oscars in a 75 gal will be a tight fit when they are grown. Most oscar lovers recommend at least 50 gals for one oscar, 75 for two oscars and so on.
whoa really? i might have to get a 125gal. petsmart sells them for $320 w/my 30% discount -$100 =$220 . or what ill most likely do is keep 3 in the 75g and 1 in the 36gal.
what the maximum tank size i could go w/ to keep my internal fiter? like for a 125gal, could i use 2 330gph filters? cause i dont know anything about external fiters and dont have the money.
also how fast do they grow?
right know 2 of my oscars ar 6" and 2 are 2 1/2"

You are in a bit of a bind. For oscars (they are messy), you want 8-10x the gallons per tank. If the tank is 75 gallons, you want filtration of 600-750. You could use the filters mentioned.
Hopefully Oscarbreeder will come back to give more sage advice (sorry, I need to run).

The $140 tank is a Perfecto 75gal. Like I said just the tank. No Hood, light or stand. The stand was $179.
If you go new it is worth spending a little extra to get better lighting. Most lights for a 75gal sold in stores is 60 to 70 watts at best and some much less. That is less than one watt per gal. Go with at least 110 watts (1.5wpg). That way you can have good luck growing low to moderate light plants. I found all the lfs in my area dont carry these higher end lights. Had to order it online.
this page can give you a good idea what is out there for a 75gal and prices. They dont ship tanks but it will help you figure the costs.
http://www.elmersaquarium.com/H109masterkit75gal.htm

I suggest getting just the tank and stand at the local store and everything else online.

anyone else?
whats the maximum tank size i could go w/ to keep my internal fiter? like for a 125gal, could i use 2 330gph filters?

Menagerie said:

he's got the 4 now in his 30 ! Anytihng would be better then that..
stay away from pet smart.. cheap tanks, thin glass... I even seen a 7 with metal corners... real nice :roll:

Get a 75 now. Start saving and by the time the oscars need more room you have the money to buy another 75. Keep 2 in each. :)

Or measure and see how much tank you have room for and look here to see what fits.
http://www.all-glass.com/services/techinfo.shtml
http://www.perfectomfg.com/tankspec.htm

If you have room for a 125 then you have room for 150. You might even have room for a 180. :lol: Maybe the 90 fits your room best. Same footprint as the 75. There is so many tank sizes and styles. Some are made to fit in a corner. For looks and cool factor the 72 and 155 bow fronts steal the show but at a high price tag.

yesterday i bought a 120gal for my oscars. but i havnt got a filter for it yet. im very strapped for cash so cant afford an external filter. will 3 whisper 330gph be enough? i cant find one that pumps more. does anyone know where i can get a 500gph+? or something more than 330 atleast. my lfs biggest filter is a 330gph.

Check on eBay!! Instead of 3 whispers, check into Fluval or ViaAqua on eBay. I got a great deal on a ViaAqua 1 1/2 years ago for our 80 gal.

Back
Top Bottom