Cheese for my fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I give my mollies, platies, and betta little pieces of cheese as a treat??

I know you can use it for bait for fishing but wondered if it was harmful for our community fish...

We have a park near me that has fish (large black fish, not sure what they are) that will take chunks of cheese right out of your hand. Never seemed to hurt them :)

I am just throwing this out there (no scientific proof) but dairy products are not ever a staple in the diet of fish. i suspect they dont have lactase enzymes that break down the lactose (milk sugar) in dairy items. Lactose intolerance in humans results in abdonimal pain, excess gas, & diarrhea-my guess is fish would not fair as well either....

I wonder if it would plug them up?

I've used soap to go fishing too. ;)

Back in my little hick town when I was a kid, we used all sorts of things. Bread, canned corn, gotdogs. All of them caught fish too :)

I'd guess it would be constipating. It's also loaded with salt..so maybe bloat as well? I don't know..but I don't think it sounds like a good idea.

Give them some fresh veggies. My goldfish love cucumber!

Back in my little hick town when I was a kid, we used all sorts of things. Bread, canned corn, gotdogs. All of them caught fish too :)

I have used all sorts of crazy stuff for bait, too! I would just keep the cheese out of your aquariums. ;)

Hahah on the cheese... :)
And my mollies love cucumber and zucchini... May try carrots next. Did it for my Otos but they love it too.

Hahah on the cheese... :)
And my mollies love cucumber and zucchini... May try carrots next. Did it for my Otos but they love it too.

How do you feed them cucumber? do you put it in a blender or just tiny cut up pieces?

missie said:
How do you feed them cucumber? do you put it in a blender or just tiny cut up pieces?

I do giant slices and let them munch on it and pull it out in a couple of days, before it goes bad.

missie said:

I cut 1/4" thick slices and drop them in tank at night and take out in morning so it doesnt affect parameters...

When i fish i use maggots, pasta shells, marshmallows, corn, meat, bollies and bread

Back
Top Bottom