Cheesy tank stands....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got my tank and stand from Petco. I didn't realize that the front left panel was pushed in, and not supporting the front right side of the 75G tank, and the tank has been full with Eco Complete and water, and driftwood. Glad I didn't have a disaster. I had emptied it out (the water that is) and had a friend help by gently lifting the right side of the tank, so I can get the front panel back under the molding like it should be. Then I saw that the tank sits on the molding, and the molding only sits on a 3/8" groove around the inside of the base, and it's particle board. LOL. Now how does that hold all that weight? LOL. And I'm wondering how strong the joints of the molding on all 4 corners is. After sticking my head under the tank, I'm too scared to stick my head under there again, lol. Once I get the wood, I'll definitely be reinforcing it, so the panel doesn't slip out of place again. It shouldn't slip anyways, it probably slipped during transporting it, and just didn't notice it. But anyways, SCARY DESIGN, LOL.

Not sure the brand. It comes stock with the 75G at petco. Here's a pic.

75g25.jpg

The tank completely sits on that molding, and the base fits into a 3/8" groove on the lower edge of the molding, and the 4 corners are attached. No extra supports whatsoever. On the right side, the panel was pushed in slightly so it wasn't sitting in the groove. Could have been a disaster if I didn't catch it.

Sorry, I should have remembered sooner about your post/pics in the planted section. That is not a Sedona. I thought it might be a Sedona because it was from petco.

lol ya ever seen the walmart stands fora 55 gallon tank, its decent wood, defintly strong enough to hold up a tank, i think they look good, but they have two doors so you can put stuff underneath it right, the way its desighned you can't open them up all the way, its barely half way, pretty cheasy, now a days i make my own stands out of 4x4 post , 2x4, wood screws and marine grade playwood and water proof paint on the whole thing for those water spills and lay grip tape for skate baords on the top, alot better than anything wlamart sells

tropicfishman said:
lol ya ever seen the walmart stands fora 55 gallon tank, its decent wood, defintly strong enough to hold up a tank, i think they look good, but they have two doors so you can put stuff underneath it right, the way its desighned you can't open them up all the way, its barely half way, pretty cheasy, now a days i make my own stands out of 4x4 post , 2x4, wood screws and marine grade playwood and water proof paint on the whole thing for those water spills and lay grip tape for skate baords on the top, alot better than anything wlamart sells

My 55G is on a Wallmart stand, and it definitely is better built than the one from Petco, lol. My doors open all the way also, not just half-way.

tank1.jpg

I prefer to buy old(which usually means heavy and solid) desks, tables, etc.

Some of the particle board stands I see at the stores are pretty scary when you think about hundreds of pounds being put on them. Then again, the weight is distributed evenly all around that small lip.

My Aunt and Uncle used to use cement cinder blocks and lay heavy boards (probably 3 x 12. I just remember them being thick as hell.) accross them, and just set the tanks on top of that.

My last stand started to tilt forward. After sticking my head under there I felt very nervous about ever doing it again. Most of the font of the tank was supported only by a small beam, glued on!
New stand is much better.

Back
Top Bottom