Chemistry Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mouse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello peeps,

ive been asking this question on some other boards but as yet have no answer, ill post it here and hopefully someone can help.

Ok, still not managing to get an answer to my question but ill tell you what ive been doing so far.

Now while i agree that in theory you sould be able to retain a natural PH, KH & GH balance with C02 in a Planted Discus Aquarium, im just not that happy with it. I dont like running the airstone at night because i feel as if my system is reliant on yet another piece of equipment. If i can maintain a happy equilibrium otherwise then im going to find it.

Anyways, last night i got the "Seachem Acid Buffer", now Seachems advice based on the initial question i had was this.

Quote:
Dear Mouse,

I would recommend to use a combination of our Acid Buffer and our
Alkaline Buffer in the RO/DI make up water to achieve a pre-set pH
(the recipe for this is on the back label of each product). Once you
have added the necessary ratios of these products to your make up
water to achieve a pre-set pH, I recommend to use the water as soon
as possible. If it is allowed to sit for a length of time (especially
with aeration) and CO2 equilibrates with the water, it will alter the
pH. Once you have adjusted the pH to your desired level and introduce
the water to the aquarium in a timely manner, I would then check the
KH after a 24 hour period and adjust it as needed in the aquarium.

But they to failed to answer my question regarding the precipitation of KH & GH when lowering PH.

So, not that im one to "experiment" with my fish, but i have enough expirience to tread with care. I followed what advice he did give, and dosed the Aquarium with the "Acid Buffer" (which in my thinking must actually be an Acid, because the KH and GH are the "buffers" AFAIK) this then lowered the PH to 5.5.

I then went about fixing my KH to the desired levels. I added the equivalent dose of 2 degrees KH and went to test the water. No reading.

I dosed the equivalent of 2 more degrees KH, which sould have given me an overall reading of 4 considering id just completed a water change, and still no reading.

So i went to 5, and then i get a reading of 1.

The fish this morning are all happy, and i had no breathing at the surface so alls good there. The PH had settled at about 6.00, so im happy with that too, but whats happening to my KH.

Could it be that with the "Seachem Acid Buffer" added, that the water has a larger "potential" to deal with, and therefore my KH changes are requireing greater degrees of solution to recreate the same level of change.

Or, is my KH being precipitated out of the water column by the "Acid Buffer" in order to reach the target PH.

Or, is the "Acid buffer" giving my test kit false readings?

I know many people frown upon the whole chemical soup thing, but i have allot of faith in Seachem, and this buffers not Phosphate based so it sould be algie free. Im also wanting to lower the PH to encourage spawning, but i dont want the elevated C02 levels that can come with it, especially at the KH & GH i would like for the plants.

Can anyone help me here?

thanks in advance for any suggestions

I got kind of confused as to what the question was. All I know is that it has something to do with ppt's forming as your ph dropped. Post a clearer question and I may be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom