Cherry Barb compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

Been a long time since I posted here. Recently moved and happy to say my tank and all it's critters made it!!

But I'm looking for a little more color and diversity.

The specs: 16 Gal freshwater
The Fish: 4 Lepoard Danio, 1 Ghsot Shrimp, I Red Wag Play, 3 Bleeding Heart Tetra's.

So how about a small Cherry Barb? Or anyone got another Tetra with some color that may go with the Bleeding Hearts? Though about a Tiger Barb, but afraid it may be a bit agreesive foe the rest.

Thanks all

Glad to be back.

-Jayson

Tiger barbs get too big anyway for that size tank and they need to be in schools of five or more to keep there aggressions among themselves. Cherry barbs should do fine with what you have. Either get a pair or a trio (two females with a male). Males are red. Females are more brown.

Should be fine, get 4 thoguh and make sure they have some cover ie fake plants or live ones. some can be kinda shy.

JMHO

Yeah, I decided against the Tiger Barbs, but the Cherry seems somewhat docile.

What do you guys thinks about some fancy guppies? Think they'd do well with the Tetra's?

I think they'd probably do fine, although some tetras can be sorta nippy. Not sure which kind though. I think Fancy Gippies are really cool. You can get them in all kinds of colors, and if you want some really fancy ones, PM Guppyman. Also, as you probably already know, they breed like rabbits. But, since you have a community tank, only a small amount of the fry would make it, if any. You can also avoid this by getting all of 1 gender.

Cherry barbs are timid. Mine like to take cover in plants every so often but they come out as well. I have them with danios, rasbora's, gourami and guppies. All the other fish are quick in grabbing food and the barbs sometimes perfer to fetch whatever sinks rather than getting any first dibs on the surface. They explore at all levels of the tank.

Male guppies are constantly in mating mode. If there are no females around they may try another species :)

Well, I opted last night not to get a barb, but will still most likely get one later.

I ended up with a Serpae Tetra whose redish color makes an interesting contrast to my three Bleeding Heart Tetra's. He actually somewhat has begun schooling with them.

And I also ended up with two male fancy guppies with a deep blue body and brightly orangish/reddish fins. Little smaller than the rest of the fish, but adds some nice color.

Back
Top Bottom