Cherry barb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a 10 gallon with cherry barbs and cory's. One of my female cherry barbs is doing some kind of weird dance. She shows no sign of illness. Is she just trying to get her freak on or is there something I don't see. All the other barbs are fine and my corys are zooming around the tank

I've had my cherry barbs for a couple months now and I've noticed the same thing sometimes. If you have any males she might just be trying to show off. On another note, 7 cherry barbs in a 10g along with corys is definitely overstocked. Although they are some of the more gentle of the barbs they can still become slightly aggressive if they aren't given enough space. Barbs usually need a minimum of 20g. I'm not sure what this "dance" is but if she seems otherwise healthy it could also be stress related due to not having enough room.

I do only have 2 corys in there and they are quite small, there is lots of room in the tank as I have only 6 barbs, I just counted again. I think she's probably just showing off as the males are a bright bright red ATM. I'll monitor over the next few days and see how it goes.

On another note does anyone have any hints on how to not cause clouding while doing a pwc? I really hate the cloudiness afterwards

I'd your water quality is not off (could you post the exact levels please?) then I would say its fairly normal. Cherry barbs are like the weird psychedelic pixie hippies of barbs IMO.

I have 4 rosy barbs in a 55g and they swirl around and around in a circle with each other and swim back and forth the length of the tank. Very interesting to watch. IMO its just what barbs do.

Back
Top Bottom