Cherry Barb took a ride on the Siphon Flume

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengoshi2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was doing a pwc this morning. Sam, our male cherry barb, kept nosing around the intake for the siphon tube. I kept moving it around so he wouldn't get sucked in but curiosity got the better of him and *slurp* he took a ride down to the 5g bucket. Fortunately, there was about 1.5 inches of water in there, so I finished siphoning the water and netted him back to the tank. He seemed rather proud of himself (as evidenced by the apparent conversation he was having with his two new female tank-mates).

It did not appear that he had been harmed, but I'm concerned nonetheless. Anything I should look for regarding his behavior that might indicate he was injured (or am I being unnecessarily paranoid)?

I think he will be fine. If he's swimming normally he'll be good, maybe dazed, but alright.

Observed Sam tonite. His dorsal fin is nicked on its leading edge. It won't extend completely. Doesn't seem to be slowing him down any. He's darting around the tank and behaving normally.

I guess that will heal eventually?

I know... I'm worrying over nothing...

This is the reason I have one of those plastic filters inside the intake tube. It lets the water flow freely, but a fish would not be able to pass through it.

Anybody had this happen with a python or aqueon water changer?

Would think that would equal one dead fishy. Right?

Yea it will be fine. Just keep your water clean so it doesnt become infected.

I noticed this morning that the nicked part of the leading edge of Sam's dorsal fin looks like it has some greyish/whitish stuff on it. At first glance it looks like mold, but on closer inspection it doesn't seem "fuzzy." Is this a sign of infection or is this a normal part of the healing process?

If it is some sort of infection, what do I do??

His behavior has been normal. I've tried taking pics and and videos but he doesn't stay still long enough.

I've been doing 20% pwc's weekly and my Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates have been 0/0/<5 consistently for the last couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom