Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2014, 03:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cherry Red Shrimps disappearing

Would bristle nose catfish eat cherry red shrimps? Upon advice from my local shop I removed the six mollies from my tank leaving four baby mollies, six guppies, three bristle nose catfish and two clown loaches but all six of the shrimps disappeared in one night, the catfish are approx three inches long.
Thank you for any help

Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If they can fit into the catfish, or other fish mouths they could be in danger. I have been loosing some to some young BN catfish babies, I believe they have been sucking up babies.

Could they have molted and be hiding?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:33 AM   #3

Hey thanks for answering so swiftly, the shrimps went in Sunday, all gone by Monday, the guppies, loaches and baby mollies mouths are too small so it must be the BN catfish.....oh well they were fed well that evening :-(
Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 4" bristle nose and he does not touch the RCS. They annoy him by trying eat his algae wafer but he just swats them off with his tail. Were your RCS very small, I wouldn't put it past the clown loach to have a go at them.
If you wanted to try the shrimp again get some Java moss established mid tank on some bog wood or rock and the shrimp will have a safe haven.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:41 AM   #5

Hi Scott, thank you for that, I actually found two of the six yesterday hiding in the plants though I can only see one so will just have to look a little harder. Would it be worth trying with Crystal shrimps as the seem a little bigger than the red cherry ones or would I be just be wasting my money?
I'm thinking of introducing something else to my tank, what would get on with guppies, BN catfish, clown loaches and baby mollies?
Any colourful suggestions would be most welcome, it's a 70 litre tank.

Tags
app, cherry, red, rim, shrimp, shrimps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com