Cherry Shrimp and dwarf Gouramis.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgarMedina1010

Aquarium Advice Freak
is it ok to have Cherry shrimp and dwarf gouramis in the same tank?, the tank does have lots of hiding spots. thanks in advance.

Keeping Cherry Shrimp with most fish will result in the baby shrimps getting eaten, and if the fish has a big enough mouth the adults shrimp with get eaten as well. If you want to give it a try, it's best to add the shrimp first so that they can get established and have a chance to find the hiding places before the fish are added. Don't expect to see the shrimp as much in this situation, as they will spend most of their time hiding, instead of out roaming the tank.

Purrbox said:
Keeping Cherry Shrimp with most fish will result in the baby shrimps getting eaten, and if the fish has a big enough mouth the adults shrimp with get eaten as well. If you want to give it a try, it's best to add the shrimp first so that they can get established and have a chance to find the hiding places before the fish are added. Don't expect to see the shrimp as much in this situation, as they will spend most of their time hiding, instead of out roaming the tank.
I only have neons and i just added a neon red dwarf gourami that is about 1.5-2 inches and i did add the cherry shrimp like 1 month ago.. but since i added the dwarf gourami thats exactly what they do (hide). thanks for the info.

you could put a few ghost shrimp in the tank, and see how the gourami reacts to them.

i have moonlight and kissing gouramis who ignore my ghost shrimp, but they are, i dont know how to say this, "normal gouramis" where as dwarfs are somewhat aggressive

truthfully ive never seen a fish openly attack shrimp until i ran out of bloodworms, and my BGK ate 6 ghost shrimp. keeping fish well fed always helps (i dont know where people who say 'fish cant tell when their hungry' get off at)

my buddy put 100 ghost shrimp in his tank ( 55 gallon ) he had a couple bousamani rainbows, swords, a big pleco, some otos and some other communtiy fish with soem baby snails, in 2 weeks all 100 were gone, none in the filter, none crawled out, somethign ate them just don't know what

EdgarMedina1010 said:
Purrbox said:
I only have neons and i just added a neon red dwarf gourami that is about 1.5-2 inches and i did add the cherry shrimp like 1 month ago.. but since i added the dwarf gourami thats exactly what they do (hide). thanks for the info.

My dwarf gouramis don't bother the shrimp at all.
It's my GBR's that love to munch on the babies.
Those shrimplets are fast though......even when the GBR's find them....they end up disappointed, more often then not.

Back
Top Bottom