Cherry shrimp and platys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah that what I was saying, red cherry shrimp or RCS reproduce in freshwater. But most shrimp need brackish conditions to reproduce. Or am I incorrect?

Ive hurd of ghost shrimp breeding in fresh.. But its rare considering most are treated badly since there so cheap and most only leave a few months do to poor water conditions

But I could of sworn the platys would not be interested in the shrimp.. I wonder if the adult shrimp would be smart enough to jump away. And stay away from the platys.. Maybe a few homes in the tank wont hurt?

Now that I thought of.. But i currently live in a 1 bedroom apartment on the third floor I have a 75 in my bedroom and a 125 in the livingroom ( i know scary to have a big aquarium on the third floor of a 25 year old apartment!). So i really dont want any more tanks.. Both tanks are show stoppers.. I put a lot of time landscaping them and my 125 has some EXTREME looking drift wood

the 125 has. 2 fire eels, 1 clown knife, 2 spine eels, 1 alligator gar, black ghost knife and a pleco! My fire eels are around 14" and the rest are just a few months old. BUt are growing fast!

Well. RCS aren't too terribly expensive. (for their size they are) so maybe you could try it and hope for the best? I'd say having lots of places to hide would be helpful

SWEET... Always glad to here some sound advice ill try around a dozen.. When i get a chance ill post some pics of my tanks

I figure a feed them a few times a day... Or get a auto feeder for the platys and they SHOULD leave the dam shrimp alone.... Hopefully... Or it will be a nice expensive steak dinner for the platys

Never realize as my meat eating fish get bigger so does the bill to feed them. Thats why i want to start up this breeding tank. The shrimp will keep my eels happy and the platys keep my clown knife and gar happy

Yeah I have a 40 long with some bichirs in it. I planned on making a tank specifically for breeding fish for them to eat. Never made it that far. I just feed them beef hart, hikari sinking carnivore pellets and some NLS pellets.

Yeah those 2 big tanks as well as a 10 gallon nursery tank for emergency cases.. Takes up alot of room in a 630 square foot apartment.

dpfitness23 said:
hikari pellets???? i havent tried that with my stubbern clown knife

Yep. They have sinking carnivore pellets and massivore pellets (in case you knife is bigger)

You could do that easily. But remember. The more platys you have in there, the more threats to you shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom