cherry shrimp with... ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which fish should I add with cherry shrimp?

• cherry barb

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • harlequin rasbora

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cardinal tetra

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • neon tetra

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • rummynose tetra

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • glowlight tetra

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
While my 10g tank is cycling, I've been thinking about how I'd like to stock it. I know I'll be adding cherry shrimp (already have java moss and driftwood with plenty of hiding places), but wasn't sure which fish I wanted to put in the tank with them. I thought of a couple of options for this poll; feel free to post any other options I may not have thought of.

Harlequin rasboras and rummynose tetras get a bit big for a proper school in a 10g. The other choices are good though.

The problem with a common name like harlequin rasbora is several different species may be sold under a given common name. I've seen at least five different species of synodontis sold as "upside-down catfish". Even the Shedd Aquarium in downtown Chicago lists different species under the same common name. At first, I resisted learning the scientific names because I've met people that turn up their noses at people who don't know the scientific names. However, I found that knowing the scientific names can clear up a lot of confusion.

If you're talking about rasbora heteromorpha, they're fairly big-bodied fish. I've got five in my 40B and they're 1.5"-2" long, pretty tall and thick, and really active. I started with them in my 20H and I had to move them because they looked cramped.

If it's rasbora hengeli, they'll be fine in a 10g. I've got six of these in my 20H and I wish I could find some more. The bright orange coloring is really attractive.

I didn't know there were multiple species of harlequin rasboras. Thanks for the info.

I'll probably go with a school of 6-ish cardinal tetras.

Back
Top Bottom