Chiller suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can someone suggest a good cheap chiller for a 29 gallon tank? I'm retired on limited budget but my fish are cooking ever with running fans on the tank water.

The condo association put in a new furnace 2x what is needed. The basement part of my condo is super hot even with the window open and a window fan on. My heat comes through coils in the floor so I cannot totally stop the flow or I will never have heat again due to sediment clogging the concrete encased tubing. There is no way to get the association to correct anything.

The furnace kicks on when it thinks it is 50 outside. I believe the room temperature is going to 90. (83 with window open). My tank is going above 82 and I just put the lights on in the tank and started running a 4 fan aquarium fan and got temp to 80.4 degrees.

I have danios (64-75) and cory (68-72)

Can anyone suggest a good reasonable low electric draw chiller.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Take a look at this. Way cheaper than any chiller you will find on the market and just as effective.

Mebbid beat me to it. That's the best DIY chiller tutorial I've ever seen, and at a fraction of the cost of the professional chillers.

Thank you both but I have no power tools, no room on aquarium wall for large object and no one to help me make a chiller. I am also very limited on power/Amps/wattage b/c each condo has an incoming power cap. So, I think a mini frig would use more power than a chiller, but I could be wrong.

I did just hire a Plummer for a $75 consult and the association needs to make $600 repairs to correct a bad install of the new furnace. He found where I can shut off the cold return from my basement to the furnace which should prevent it from sending the hot water into my concrete encase floor pipes. Idk if it will work, it's still super hot in here, but the concrete is like a hot rock it might take all night to finally get relief. I don't know if the association will or will not make necessary repairs. However, with fans blowing air in from a small underground window and fans blowing on the aquarium and tank lights off. I was able to get the tank down to 76.

I'd still like a good recommendation on a low wattage, inexpensive, but reliable chiller for a 29 gallon tank.

Thank you both again, if hubby was alive, he would have done the electric circuit math and made that nice DIY chiller, if I had the power allotment to run it. And, he would have increased the wiring to my TV system and moved it so there would be floor space for it. I miss him every day! He was the best, funniest hubby ever! He would have been running around, teasing, tearing at his hair mimicking me, " My fish are dying! Let's spend $600 to cool the fish! Oh, my crown can wait that's only my teeth. I have to save my fish!" Then, he would sit a giggle at his mimic and then, he'd refine his mimic and call the kids and be even funnier. God rest his soul. I was the luckiest woman in the world to have been loved by him. ( I'm not sad. I'll see him again. I'm just exceptionally grateful for the time we had.)

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Back
Top Bottom