Chinese Algea Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So today I realized my CAE will get to 11'. Ohh crap. When I firsted started of my tank I got her, I was told she was a golden algea eater and I never even took a second thought. She has a taste for slime coats. I bought her from a chain store, so what do I do now?

Try to re-home her ASAP. Like you said, CAE will get large, aggressive, and harm other fish by eating their slime coats. You could try craigs list, or maybe see if you could donate it to a LFS.

I don't know why they call them algae eaters, they don't really eat the algae...
Try to find her a new home ASAP. Look into homes specifically with South American or African cichlids, there's a 50% it won't bother those tough guys. If worst comes to worst, just get her her own tank.

Ha, two hers back to back! LOL it's so not funny but it is to me! :)

Lol, I hate that fish with a passion. She has killed multiple fish because of destroying there slime coats. My turtle will be getting a upgrade hopefully, could she go in there?

Lol, I hate that fish with a passion. She has killed multiple fish because of destroying there slime coats. My turtle will be getting a upgrade hopefully, could she go in there?

If you have another trusted LFS(other than the chain store) call them up and offer to take it there. You'd be surprised at how often an LFS will take a fish off your hands. Sometimes, some stores offer a store credit.

Really that would be your best bet if you wanted to get rid of her quickly feed your turtle at the same time. If you did put it on craigs list or gave it to a LFS, then another person oblivious to the fish's actions would end up with it in their tank!

Hahaha!!

So when I went to feed I saw she wasn't' moving and I was like"Yes! The wicked witch is dead!!" Then she moved :/ I love it how my little GBR gets picked on by her and my female angelfish goes and defends her (The GBR).

I also have a CAE (inherited not bought) at about 4" now and he is a bloody tyrant. Am now considering a turtle......................

Ickletas said:
I also have a CAE (inherited not bought) at about 4" now and he is a bloody tyrant. Am now considering a turtle......................

Hahahaha!

I really think they should out law the sale of Plecos and CAEs. When I bought her I was told she would get to 2 inches and looks where I am now. I really dont have the slightest idea of what to do with my monster.

Last edited by a moderator:
CAE are literally indestructible aquarium fish, it should be banned to sell them because they get massive, eat all your fish, and the name is SO misleading, they don't eat your algae, they eat your fish's slilme coats! Put 'em in my pool with some pirhanas and that'll teach it a lesson.

I have a CAE that i got from someone who was moving and it's probably several years old now. It's still only about 3-4", so I don't know if its stunted, or if its just a species that doesn't get very large. I'm pretty sure CAEs are like SAEs in that there are several species that often get lumped into that generic name.

Had him on the top rack for a long time, then one day noticed a bunch of movement in the tank below his. Took a closer look, and somehow he jumped down and into the tank below his. Both don't have tops, and the racks are wire, but still, he had to hit it perfect to get in there.

I let him stay in there for a day, and the next day, he was in the tank next to that one. At that point he earned my respect and now he's in a tightly secured bowfront.

He's never attacked anything that he's been with either, so I think I have a good one.

I've probably mis-judged the tone of this thread, but...

If you're serious about euthanising the CAE, make sure you do it ethically...

Clove oil or temperature shock (not the same as freezing the fish) are probably the most easily accesable... Flushing it down the pan, or tossing it in a SW tank are deffinitaly not acceptable solutions to the problem....

I'd reccomend temperature shock.. Take a container large enough for the fish, fill it with water and place it in the freezer. When it's right at the point of freezing (maybe a little slushy) take it out and drop the fish directly into it... Fish won't feel a thing... Make sure by puting the container + fish back into the freezer overnight...

Then you could defrost the fish and feed to your other stock assuming it was healthy, will be completely fresh still... I wouldn't risk feeding the dead CAE to your stock if you used clove oil however....

Like I said I may have completely mis-judged the tone of the thread... Just offering cautios advice!

The Editor said:
I've probably mis-judged the tone of this thread, but...

If you're serious about euthanising the CAE, make sure you do it ethically...

Clove oil or temperature shock (not the same as freezing the fish) are probably the most easily accesable... Flushing it down the pan, or tossing it in a SW tank are deffinitaly not acceptable solutions to the problem....

I'd reccomend temperature shock.. Take a container large enough for the fish, fill it with water and place it in the freezer. When it's right at the point of freezing (maybe a little slushy) take it out and drop the fish directly into it... Fish won't feel a thing... Make sure by puting the container + fish back into the freezer overnight...

Then you could defrost the fish and feed to your other stock assuming it was healthy, will be completely fresh still... I wouldn't risk feeding the dead CAE to your stock if you used clove oil however....

Like I said I may have completely mis-judged the tone of the thread... Just offering cautios advice!

No, we were just joking around but thank you for being concerned for our fish. But if it comes to the point of which I cannot keep her I will probably euthanize her as I dont want someone else to stunt her or squeeze her into a over crowded tank. Thank you for caring for the wellfare of our fish.

Please keep this thread on topic and relavent... it seems to be turning in to a chit chat between members. If it continues, the thread will be locked.

All - I have removed most of the Off Topic dialogue. Please keep posts in reference to the OP. There is a chat function on AA for chatting, or off topic posts can be made in the Lounge.

Back
Top Bottom