Chlorine VS Chloramine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beamesmar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Whew! I feel like I just dodged a bullet and need some help to get back on track.

I have tap water, and know I need to dechlorinate. I purchased 500g of Sodium Thiosulphate, and read that if dissolved into about a gallon of water, it will effectively treat over 40,000 gallons of aquarium water for only $5.95.

As I am preparing to get my tank set up, I thought I had a fabulous solution. However, I was plunking around the internet in the home brewing sites and read an article by a chemist discussing removing chlorines from beer brews. He talked about using sodium thiosulfate to effectively and safely remove chlorine from tap water... but noted that this does NOT work for chloramines.

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/removing_chloramines_from_water

Many localities are switching over from chlorines to chloramines (chlorine with ammonias) to treat municipally-supplied water. This is also the case for where I live.

So now I'm looking for a new solution.

Anyone have something that works well?

I have to second the suggestion on seachem prime, it's an absolute miracle substance!

Okay so not quite a miracle substance, but you get the gist. I've always used prime and have nothing but good things to say about it

Back
Top Bottom