Chocalate Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinciboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought one yesterday as I looks cool.. I researched in internet and found that they are very hard to keep in a community tank... Any experiences..

Ive heard of black-water comunity tanks with chocalate gourami's and other fish from that water type together.. like angels and tetra's.... its just another soft water fish.. All of them seem to get the not good for a community tank rep.. HTH

Thats why I am using Fluval 303 and also powerhead for air circulation... Regarding sizewise what is the max size of the catfish I have ?.

cinciboy said:
Thats why I am using Fluval 303 and also powerhead for air circulation... Regarding sizewise what is the max size of the catfish I have ?.

Your chocolate gourami isn't going to last long in that 29...he needs to be with smaller, non-agressive fish and in very little current, with lots of plants (trust me, it is how my colony of 6 chocolates has done so well so long).

Anywhere from 1"-12" on those cats....its hard to be more specific uless you provide exact species on them....there are hundreds of Corydoras species that range from 1"-5", and several Synodontus species that range from 3"-12".

Toirtis said:
cinciboy said:

Your chocolate gourami isn't going to last long in that 29...he needs to be with smaller, non-agressive fish and in very little current, with lots of plants (trust me, it is how my colony of 6 chocolates has done so well so long).

Anywhere from 1"-12" on those cats....its hard to be more specific uless you provide exact species on them....there are hundreds of Corydoras species that range from 1"-5", and several Synodontus species that range from 3"-12".

my catfish name is Synodontis Eupterus . it is already 3 inches long. Regarding gourami, it is already moving to the top of the tank. It seems to be eating well... have to wait and see.

In my tank, I got lot of pebbles and a big tree root (resin). Also I have some rocks + lot of plants.

cinciboy said:
my catfish name is Synodontis Eupterus . it is already 3 inches long.

...and on its way to 12" and as big around as your wrist....and be aware, they can get territorial and a bit cranky.

What Corydoras species do you have?

Toirtis said:
...and on its way to 12" and as big around as your wrist....and be aware, they can get territorial and a bit cranky.

Hm, according to Planet Catfish and Mongabay they only get to 6" and are peaceful?

RoK said:
Toirtis said:

Hm, according to Planet Catfish and Mongabay they only get to 6" and are peaceful?

I draw my quote from personal experience, other aquarists I know, ichthyological texts and fishbase.

It is peaceful fish... I can confirm that... it never had a problem with my other fishes. It usually hides most of the time except feeding.. It is cool looking fish with the long spine in the top... I read in some websites we cannot use nets to catch these... if no net what is the solution....

Strange..planet catfish is usually right. Fishbase does say it reaches a size of 12", so if I were you, I would find a new home for it or upgrade to at least a 75 gal tank.

My chocalate is getting aggresive while feeding ... it is chasing down even Rams which are bigger than itself.. Are they aggresive fishes..

This doesnt sound like normal behavior to me.. Ive read of others that are keeping them with discus (I have no idea if thats a good idea :lol: ) and if they were aggressive feeders they would have to go in that case..

Back
Top Bottom