Choosing between different filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
At the moment I've got my Aquaclear set up with the sponge and ceramic bio-media that comes with the filter, and then filled the rest of the space up with filter floss instead of the activated charcoal they provide.

I'm wondering if it might be better to swop some of that filter floss with something else as I don't like the idea of having to throw away biological media when the floss gets clogged.

Would you guys recommend another sponge, or more ceramic media, or maybe something else? One of these much better than the other, or is it a "six of one, half a dozen of another" situation?

Good question! I think the best choice would be one where physical waste can easily and frequently be removed from the system (via floss replacement). By doing so you are removing compounds that will eventually breakdown and become converted into other substances and potentially accumulate. Yes, BB are removed in the process but if done frequently, the BB should not have time to establish themselves in the floss and there are other places it is already established.
I used to think more biomedia is better but I believe that is true up to a point. Assuming the feeding regimen and stock do not change, the amount I ammonia produced should remain rather steady in a established tank. I think that having extra biomedia allows for the potential for additional BB growth but does not guarantee that a spike will not occur.
So, if you can change the floss at regular intervals, then that may be the way to go.

Good question! I think the best choice would be one where physical waste can easily and frequently be removed from the system (via floss replacement). By doing so you are removing compounds that will eventually breakdown and become converted into other substances and potentially accumulate. Yes, BB are removed in the process but if done frequently, the BB should not have time to establish themselves in the floss and there are other places it is already established.
I used to think more biomedia is better but I believe that is true up to a point. Assuming the feeding regimen and stock do not change, the amount I ammonia produced should remain rather steady in a established tank. I think that having extra biomedia allows for the potential for additional BB growth but does not guarantee that a spike will not occur.
So, if you can change the floss at regular intervals, then that may be the way to go.

That makes sense. Especially the idea to change the floss more frequently, rather than leaving it in for longer (and allowing it to be colonised) before removing it.

I think I'm being a bit overly precious about my BB. See, I even call it MY BB :) I'm scared to squeeze the sponge too much, etc, in case I remove too much BB. I'm guessing I don't need to be quite so careful.

you need the filter floss to polish the water broheim

in my AC i have 2 layers of filter flosse (with sponge) and then i made home made bio filters (x2) which are these glass and mat texture medium sized stones for bettas, which i filled a baggie made of filter floss (x2) and then placed those 2 in my aquaclear! I also have a 10g filter running purely with biological!

Fwiw, I think floss is amazing media. It's also the cheapest media. I use a sponge, a bag of broken lava rock [ instead of ceramic media, it does the same task], with floss on top, in my AC70s.
I don't toss the floss very often. I clean it just as I do the sponge, and put it back. I don't replace it until it begins to fall into smalls shreds, at which point it gets a bit harder to handle. It will also be quite a dark colour by this point. I often wrap the floss in a section of soft plastic netting, which I get from taking a bath puff apart. Keeps it together and makes it easier to handle when it's getting a bit beat up.

I don't replace old floss at once either. Once it's got to the point it needs to be replaced, I'll remove roughly half, and wrap a new piece of floss around the remaining old pieces.

Week or two later, I'll replace the remaining oldest floss and wrap another new piece around the earlier replacement piece. I think the big roll I have is likely going to last me at least five years or more.
I buy floss by the big bag, in a large roll. I tear chunks off that when I need new media.
I also use pieces of this to seed new filters, along with the rinsings from cleaning filters, and it works very well.
I just can't see throwing out perfectly useful floss because it's no longer bright white in c colour. So it turns grey... who cares ? By the time it's getting ragged, and dark grey, it is losing it's ability to polish water as well as it can when new, but until then, I keep using it. It does grow plenty of BB.. I have no real idea how many compared to ceramic or sponge, but I've yet to have any issues with BB being too few.

Edit. It's quite easy to make your own filter bags from almost any fine netting, even if you aren't a great stitcher. Fish line makes good, non rotting thread, just as it does for tying moss on rocks, and you can buy net from fabric stores.. tulle or craft net works well, usually made of nylon or polyester. Or take apart a cheap lingerie wash bag from the dollar store. Some are coarser net, some are very, very fine, almost like brine shrimp netting. The coarser stuff is better for ceramic media, but the brine shrimp type is great for things with smaller grains. It gets clogged faster though, and need cleaning more often.

Fishfur, thanks for all the amazing tips!

For some reason it gives me a thrill to figure out my own home made filter media solution rather than going by the manufacturer's instructions to replace media each month with their inserts.

Filter modding :)

Back
Top Bottom