Cichlid aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anne81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I've just set up a 240L tank and I've put in 6 peacock cichlids, one loach, one Catfish and a pleco. My question is, does a small number of cichlids more times than not lead to aggression? I really don't want to overload the tank. I think it looks nice as is. What tends to be the smallest number of cichlids in a tank that size to avoid aggression or might it never be an issue?

Peacocks tend to be fairly peaceful compared to other cichlids. You may be ok with only 6, especially if you have more females than males. Watch for aggression as they grow. If it becomes a problem, you may have to make other stocking arrangements. But, as I said, you may not have any major aggression.
Depending upon what species of loach you have, you may want to add a couple more. Most loaches, while not usually true schooling fish, are gregarious and prefer the company of their own kind.

Yeah that's a good idea. Thanks I was hoping someone would say I may be ok to stick with just 6. I don't want them to be cramped as they grow.

Make sure you have plenty of caves and hides, and you should be ok. Do you plan an all male tank, or a mixed tank? An all male tank may be your best bet.

I know now that I should have gone all males, but I have no idea what sex they are... I am trying to make sure I have enough caves...

Back
Top Bottom