Cichlid Crisis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fathomed

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 30g tank atm. I have one male Betta and 6 Zebra Danios. I plan on getting 2 Balas and after a while, I'll add a Rainbow Shark. Sounds alright for now...

I think that's a nice, good, community but my friend has a Cichlid he needs me to take care of. He said he'll be heading down to British Columbia for a short trip and he's selling his tank there as well. The cichlid looks like this http://www.fishaholics.org/graphics/cyphotilapia/frontosa_kigoma8.jpg I don't even know what kind of Cichlid it is.

Would I be able to combine them altogether? I don't have another tank to store the Cichlid in or the Betta/Danios. Help~!

For a 30 gal tank, completly nix the idea of Bala's. They grow far too large and need to be in groupings. A 30 gal just doesn't provide enough space.

In regards to the Frontosa Cichlid, your friend needs to see if he can return it to the lfs. It grows to 12 to 14 inches in size.

Oh, I knew about the Bala's potential size. I was going to get them and keep them in the 30 until 6" then upgrade, because right now is tuition-fee-paying time and I can't go bigger. They're only about 2" now.

I can't get my friend to return the Cichlid, or me since I have it now; because our LFS only accepts refunds on fish up to 30 days since the payment. The Cichlid is about 5" and definately older than a month.

Is there like an adoption centre for fish? My Z. Danios and my Betta and currently sharing a bowl since the Cichlid tried to eat them. Ugh!

I'd wait to get the bala's until you upgrade the tank size. Some website say 70 gal is the minimum tank size for these guys but IMO you need to be at a 125 to 150 range due to their size. Do you plan on upgrading that large?

You can call a lfs and tell them you have a fish that you can not keep, it wsa given to you, and you'd like to bring it in. You won't get any money out of it, but it will keep your other fish alive, and the Cichlid will live a happier life in a larger tank.

Yeah, I was thinking a 75g once I get past my 3rd or 4th year in university. Then when I finish my degree and make enough money, buy a new house, build a 150-200g inside the wall of my room. I planned on getting a lot more than 2 Balas once that happens. Although, I won't be getting any aquarium bigger than 30g for at least 3 years for sure.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to call about that free give away asap. He doesn't seem to be eating either so I worry about that too.

I also have a couple more quick questions - do fish sleep? and how efficient are built in bottom filters? I have 2 in my 30g and they seem to get debris out of the water but there is a ton, a ton of waste inside and out of the gravel. Should I just buy like an AquaClear or something?

Back
Top Bottom