Cichlid fry experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badfisherman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Earlier this week I had to bring my Brichardi colony to the LFS. I sort of regret it, because i did quite enjoy them. But 40 fish in a 20 gallon tall tank can't be healthy for the fish. Plus it got difficult for me to watch the parents eating some of the quarter inch fry to make room for the 30th spawn.

As I returned them, i got 3 electric blue rams. 2 have survived. Both happen to be males, thanks to someone who pointed that out in this forum.

As i put them in, i've noticed that around 10 of the fry (just starting to free swim) have survived the redecoration (really just covering the substrate since the brichardis dug so much)

Experiment:

1) So far i've tried putting in a inch sized brichardi that i bought from the store when i first started the brichardi tank in my community of tetras, angelfish, acara, pleco, rams, and glass catfish because while trying to form pairs, this little guy was being picked on to the point he had half a tail.

He was a terror to his community tank mates before his tail gre back.

2) I've tried putting one quarter inch fry into the same community tank after seeing that he was being hunted by his/ her parents and the siblings were picking at him as well.

After 3 days he terrorized the community.

3) Currently there are 7-10 fry in my original brichardi tank with 2 electric blue rams who have given up on trying to eat them.

Do you think the fry will grow up to co-exist with the rams?

Deep down, I know that to be true. But I do fantasize about seeing brichardi ramming eachother and flaring rather than biting. It would be a funny sight.

But instincts will prevail, no matter the upbringing

Back
Top Bottom