Cichlid suggestions for tiger barb mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmalek321

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Now before anyone freaks out I have done a lot of research and I KNOW cichlids should be kept in a species only tank and not likely with tiger barbs.

I currently have 8 tiger barbs (4 regular 4 green) in a 40G breeder with 2 aqueon 30 quietflow HOBs. Tank has been running and stable for more than a year with the barbs.

Now my question is this, I've been wanting to add another species of fish for months now yet don't want the typical recommended tank mates (other types of barbs etc.).

I really would love to add a single or pair of cichlids and have read that either a firemouth or a bolivian/german ram would work well with tiger barbs. My barbs have never been aggressive to each other other than the usual chasing around (even when not being fed for a few days). Does anyone have any experience keeping these or other cichlids with tiger barbs? Also does anyone have any other recommendations for tank mates other than the usual "more barbs". I'm open to all suggestions, I just would really like to add some new fish other than barbs (even though I absolutely love them)

Thanks!!!

First of all... Cichlids don't have to be in species only tanks all of the time. Some can do quite well in an appropriate community set up.

I would probably aim for the firemouth from those options. They get bigger and would defend itself better than rams if the barbs decided to attack.

Thank you! Do you think a single firemouth would be best? i heard pairs can be aggressive towards eachother

There's always a chance for aggression with Cichlids but firemouths in my experience can be kept as a pair as long as they have adequate space to claim

You could probably get away with kribensis cichlid just dont get a breeding pair they are aggressive when caring for there young

Back
Top Bottom